Girls soccer edges out City 1-0

Meena Tate ’23 found the back of the net late to push the Trojans past their cross-town rival City High on April 22.

Owen Aanestad

Meena Tate ’23 is swarmed by her teammates as they celebrate her goal to put the Trojans up 1-0 against City High at Ed Barker Field on April 22.

Owen Aanestad, Online Editor-In-Chief

For the first time in a long time, the famous Ed Barker Field welcomed not only a City-West matchup but stands full of Iowa City soccer fans. The girls soccer team faced off with their cross-town rival City High on April 22 in game one of the girl-boy series this week.

Coming off of a tough 0-5 loss to Linn-Mar on Tuesday, Dave Rosenthal’s squad was eager to get back to work and set the tone for the rest of the year against the Little Hawks.

Both the Trojans and the Little Hawks settled in throughout the first twenty minutes of the first half as both teams tried to separate themselves early.

West goalkeeper Julia Bernat ’21 kept the Trojans’ hopes alive more than once throughout the night with multiple saves with some help from the strong backline consisting of: Anna Verry ’22, Makayla Slade ’21 and Aly Skala ’24.

At the end of the first half, the Trojans and Little Hawks were scoreless.

Rosenthal with the help of some fresh legs off the bench fired up the offensive pressure halfway through the second to facilitate some solid shots on goal.

Finally, with 7:06 left in the second half Makenna Vonderhaar ’22 flicked the ball into the box right to sophomore Meena Tate where she fired one into the back of the net to give the Trojans the lead and their first goal of the night.

Only up by one, the girls soccer team got right back to work looking to extend their lead. The Trojans held strong on the defensive end the rest of the half to take home a 1-0 win over cross-town rival City High.

The boys soccer team will face off with the Little Hawks tomorrow night at Ed Barker Field as they hope to secure the Westside sweep.