Boys soccer takes down City High

The boys soccer team improved to 5-2 on the year after taking down the Little Hawks on April 15.

Owen Aanestad

Amre Ibrahim ’23 celebrates junior Michael Nelson’s second half goal against City High on April 15.

Owen Aanestad, Online Editor-In-Chief

Coming off a tough loss to the highly-ranked Lightning the boys soccer team had a chance to pick up one set of bragging rights this week as they faced off with cross town rival City High.

The Little Hawks got on the board early when Jacob Eisenberg ’22 found the back of the net on a corner kick only five minutes into the first half.

West leading scorer Michael Nelson ’23 answered for the Trojans when he scored on a free kick almost halfway through the first half to tie the game 1-1.

Senior goalkeeper Nick McDonnell and the Trojans’ back line helped keep things scoreless the rest of the half.

Miguel Cohen Suarez ’22 snuck one past the City High keeper 10 minutes into the second half on a breakaway to give the Trojans their first lead of the night.

Freshman striker Daniel Fuentes joined the scoring party just a couple minutes later with a left footed boot into the bottom right corner of the goal to make it 3-1 Trojans.

With momentum on their side, Brad Stiles’ squad didn’t turn back and kept up with the offensive pressure. Nelson with three minutes to go chipped the City High goalkeeper for the Trojans cherry on top.

West took down their cross-town rivals City High with a final score of 4-2.

The boys soccer team will be back in action on April 19 at Linn-Mar.