Former principal Dr. Shoultz conducts outreach activities for African schools

Former West High principal and current principal at the American International School of Abuja, Dr. Gregg Shoultz visits West on Oct. 26 in hopes of promoting international teaching.

Owen Aanestad

Dr. Gregg Shoultz and Greg Hughes pose for a photo inside the West High weight room while touring the school on Oct. 26.

Owen Aanestad, Online Editor-In-Chief

From going viral in the West Side Story’s very own carpool karaoke and taking on a new district role in 2020 as director of PK-12 online learning to now living and working in Nigeria, former West High principal Dr. Gregg Shoultz is back in Iowa in hopes of promoting teachers to take the international route.

Shoultz, current high school principal at the American International School of Abuja, will be in Iowa the week of Oct. 25 to promote teaching in international schools in Africa. Shoultz will be accompanied by a veteran African school administrator, Greg Hughes. Hughes has led international schools in Africa since 2000. Both will be meeting with students and professors at the University of Iowa and the University of Northern Iowa. They hope to create a pathway for pre-service teachers to complete their student teaching at an international school so they can see the advantages of international teaching. They also plan to meet with current teachers who are interested in learning about careers in Africa.

Shoultz was an administrator with the Iowa City Community School District from 2000 to 2021 when he accepted the principal position in the capital of Nigeria.

Regarding the outreach tour, Shoultz said, “I know that Iowa is home to high quality teachers. Mr. Hughes and I want to promote the opportunities of teaching abroad and the need for high quality educators in Africa. Everyone knows the challenges that public school teachers face; what they don’t know is that international schools can provide them with a chance to really practice their craft.”

Hughes, who has led schools in Mali, Sudan, Eritrea, and Lesotho in addition to Nigeria, holds a degree in education from NewCastle University, New South Wales, Australia. “Education is in a state of flux due to COVID and political polarization. We want to inform teachers and future teachers that they can make a difference by thinking globally,” said Hughes.

Shoultz and Hughes will be at The University of Iowa on Oct. 25, 26 and 28 and at the University of Northern Iowa on Oct. 27.

Please contact them if you would like to set up an individual meeting to learn more about overseas teaching in Africa.

Gregg Shoultz at [email protected], 319 530-7076, 319 435-1660

Greg Hughes at [email protected], +234 7080385602