March news briefs

Travel through this timeline to learn more about what events West students have been through this winter.

Mrudani Ramkumar, Print News Editor

House Files 8 and 9 were introduced in the Iowa Legislature Jan. 12. HF 8 would make it illegal to teach K-3 students about sexual orientation and gender identity, while HF 9 would prohibit schools from recognizing a student’s gender identity without written consent from parents. 

Iowa House Capitol with a gold dome and white stone building.
The Iowa House Capitol in Des Moines during the winter. (Vivian Polgreen)

SPIT, Student Produced Innovative Theater, put on two shows Jan. 12 and 13:  “The Layover” and “The 10 Worst Breakups of All Time.”

Caroline Seery ’24, Ahmed Elsheikh ’24, McKenna Stephens ’24, Tessa Gibson ’24 and Eli Asper ’25 (from left to right) performing during one of their SPIT (Student Produced Innovate Theater) shows. (Sachiko Goto)

During the week of Jan. 24, AFT classrooms participated in a door-decorating contest to commemorate influential Black leaders. That Friday, underclassmen listened to a talk by Andre Wright, co-founder of Humanize My Hoodie, while upperclassmen attended a jazz concert performed by blues musician Kevin Burt.

Kevin Burt playing the guitar during ICCSD’s MLK Celebration Day. (Isabella Tisdale)

Members of show choir and show band competed together in five competitions against other Iowan schools throughout January and February. 

Maile Kruse ’25 singing during a show choir competition. (Isabella Tisdale)

Science Olympiad members participated in their regional competition in various science events Feb. 2.

Joseph Lin ’25 working on his trajectory project for Science Olympiad regionals. (Anna Song)

Liberty High Doubleheader: The girls basketball team lost 60-72, and the boys basketball team won 72-57 in an at-home doubleheader against Liberty Feb. 3.

Anna Prouty ’23 defends Liberty High’s girls basketball team at the double header. (Ceci De Young)

During IGHSAU girls wrestling state tournament at Xtreme Area in Coralville Feb. 3, Jannell Avila ’23 was runner up in the 155-pound class.

Jannell Avila ’23 competes at the girl’s state wrestling tournament.

Aria Warren ’26 won the Iowa Miss Amazing Pageant, a pageant for girls and women with disabilities, in Des Moines Feb. 4. 

Aria Warren ’26 after winning the Iowa Miss Amazing Pageant (Courtesy of Aria Warren).

West High’s dance team competed at ESPN World Wide Sports in Orlando, Florida Feb. 5 and were one out of 16 teams to make it to the semifinals in jazz.

West High’s Dance Team competing at ESPN’s dance team at Orlando, Florida (Cayla Drow).

The boys swim team placed eighth overall at the state championship meet Feb. 10.

Dillon Croco ’24 swimming at a local meet. (Gianna Liu)

The West High Symphony Orchestra was one of five orchestras to be selected from across the nation to perform at the Kennedy Center for the Capitol Orchestra Festival Feb. 18-21.

The Capitol Orchestra tickets are in front of the some of the music West High’s Symphony Orchestra played.