Welcome aboard!

Welcome aboard!

WSS welcomes six new teachers to the West High community.

Megan Boehme

Megan Boehme holds her coffee for a photo. (Erinn Varga)

After teaching at Muscatine High School for five years, Boehmenow teaches Spanish I and IV at West. Boehme grew up in Milo, Iowa and studied biology and Spanish at the University of Northern Iowa. She then pursued her master’s degree in Spanish education at the Pontifical University of Salamanca. Boehme’s love for learning languages is not limited to just teaching Spanish. She’s studying Portuguese and Arabic, with a 950+ streak on Duolingo. Outside of the realm of languages, she loves to run, crochet and spend time with her pets.

Trey Bronner

Trey Bronner poses in the guidance office. (Erinn Varga)

Bronner is one of West’s two new guidance counselors, and he coaches football. He was a counselor at Page High School in Franklin, Tennessee before returning to Iowa for his second year of counseling. Bronner grew up in Cedar Falls, Iowa and received his undergraduate degree in business instruction at the University of Northern Iowa and his master’s in school counseling at the University of Iowa. Having enjoyed coaching since college, Bronner looks forward to also coaching baseball this spring. When he’s not at school, Bronner can be found golfing or running.

Tyler James

Tyler James reads a paper. (Erinn Varga)

James teaches Composition I and English 10 at West, and this is his sixth year teaching. Previously, James was an English teacher at North Central Junior High and a substitute at Liberty High. He grew up bouncing around the Midwest and attended the University of Iowa for his undergraduate degrees in philosophy and world literature. Besides being a bookworm, James loves making music. He spends his free time in his home studio and performs locally. James plays many instruments, such as the keys, guitar and bass, and he writes his own lyrics.

Brian Zeglis

Brian Zeglis poses with drumsticks in the band room. (Erinn Varga)

With 16 years of experience at Davenport Central High School, Zeglis is now a band director at West. He grew up in Spring Valley, Illinois and attended Western Illinois University for his undergraduate degree in music business. After getting his master’s degree at the University of North Texas, Zeglis returned to Iowa for his teaching license. Outside of school, he often plays at local gigs as a percussionist on the weekends. He also enjoys spending time with family, playing golf and participating in triathlons.

Charlie Gardner

Charlie Gardner tinkers with a machine in the industrial technology lab. (Erinn Varga)

Gardner teaches Construction Technology, Construction Materials Processing l and Geometry in Construction at West. Previously, he taught in Mount Vernon, Cedar Rapids, Jefferson and Teru, New Zealand; he is starting his 16th year of teaching. Gardner grew up in Lawton, Iowa and attended the University of Northern Iowa, graduating with a Bachelor of Arts in earth science and science education. When he’s not at school, Gardner is a busy father of two and enjoys building, hunting, fishing, kayaking and hiking in the mountains.

Sarah Long

Sarah Long poses with a mannequin. (Erinn Varga)

Long teaches Human Anatomy and Physiology, Earth and Space Science and voice lessons at West. With previous teaching experience in Cedar Rapids and Pueblo, Colorado, this is her 10th year as an educator. She grew up in Minnesota and graduated from Luther College with an undergraduate degree in music and biology. After realizing her passion for the environment, Long attended Clark University for her master’s degree in teaching. Her love for nature can be seen in her hobbies as well; Long enjoys birdwatching, swimming, paddle boarding as well as singing in her church’s choir. 

How well do you know the new teachers?

image

There was an error. Please try again.

6 Total Questions