Lilly Graham 24
Lilly Graham
Print Managing Editor

(she/her) Lilly Graham is a senior at West, and this is her third year on staff. Lilly is the Managing Editor for the print edition. Outside of school, Lilly enjoys playing tennis and spending time with...

West’s Esports team finishes fifth place

West’s Esports team concluded their 2023 fall season playing “Super Smash Bros Ultimate” at state finals.
Tamara Fisher
The players that were chosen to represent the West Esports team and their coach at the State Finals on Fri. 17. In the back right Harel Gameti’25 stands next to Sawyer Smith’25, Jeff Conner, Jacob Hollenbeck’25. Lawson Guess’25 stands behind Luke Frantz’24 (infront) and next to Marcus Fisher’26.

West High’s Esports team secured fifth place at the state finals, the “Super Smash Bros Ultimate” season ending. The state finals were held by the Iowa High School Esports Association (IAHSEA) in Marshalltown, Iowa, on Friday Nov. 17.

To win against another team, teams must win two out of the three games. To succeed in games, teams must eliminate more opponents’ stock than the other. Players get rid of an opponent’s stock if they can kill them, and each of the five players in a game receives three stocks.

West’s Esports team won against Gilbert but lost to ADM in a close match. The team brought ADM to a tie of stocks in the first game. The tie led to a scenario where each player had one stock.

With the season over on a good note, they are preparing for the “Mario Kart 8” season, which will take place in the spring. Practice will be after school on Wednesdays in room nine. For more information on the West High Esports team, contact Jeff Conner or Jill Hofmockel.