Choose Women’s Freedom: The Importance of Pro-choice

Bringing awareness to West High students about abortion laws in America, encouraging you to speak up.
Women protesting there rights for abortion January 21, 2017 at the Women’s March in Barcelona. (Llias Bartolini)

Can you imagine giving away your body, your mind, your soul? Not having a say on your own body? Well if you are a woman in 14 out of 50 states in the U.S. then you have a law on your body that you can not control. Outside of those 14 states that have completely banned abortion, in 28 states there are heavy limitations around abortion and your body. Let’s give women the right to make a choice for their bodiesWomen and girls should have the right to choose what they want to do with their bodies.

Depending on what state you live in it is illegal to get a safe abortion. I say safe, because safe abortions are what the laws are stopping women from getting, abortions in a hospital with a safe, clean environment, with a procedure that is done by a doctor. You will never be able to stop women and they will always find a way to persevere. Especially when it is over such a big life changing topic.  All The government is doing by making abortions illegal is making them unsafe. The National Library of Medicine says around 68,000 women die from unsafe abortions every year, of the women that survive the procedure most of them will experience health issues the rest of their life, it is estimated that 20 million unsafe abortions take place per year on a global basis. The government could save many lives by simply making abortions legal and making them safe.

The opposing argument to pro-choose is pro-life. Pro-life is protecting the life of the unborn child. I personally would not call this pro-life, I wouldn’t consider a cell to have a life, but I do know the woman who is carrying does have a life. Will a cell’s “life” trump women who would die if she had to give birth?  This woman has a life and a family that needs her, a job, and a significant other.. Now she is expected to give up everything?  Pro-life is not choosing life, it is protecting the life of a cell and not the human who is already existing. 

What about women and little girls who are victims of rape? National Sexual violence Resource Center tell us that 1 in 5 women have experienced completed or attempted rape during there life time and one in three women that have experienced rape are inbetween the ages of 11 to 17. Like a 10 year old little girl from Ohio who was raped and impregnated by Gerson Fuentes.  Fuentes was 28 years old when he raped the little girl. Two days after Fuentes pleaded guilty the supreme court overturned Roe Vs. Wade and the protection over abortions was gone. This ten year old little girl had to travel out of Ohio and to Indiana to get her abortion. These victams are expected to carry and give birth to the child of the person who raped them, caused them so much emotional damage they will never truly recover and be themselves again? They will live out the rest of their lives and remember that day they were a victim to a man and how because of that day their whole life has changed.

Pro-life is the opposing argument to pro-choice, But should it really be called pro-life? Is a cell’s “life” going to troop a woman who has already created a family and has people that depend on her?  Will we allow laws on women to not have a choice over their body? After reading my column I want you to think pro-life or pro-choice, And how picking pro-choice can make a difference for many women’s lives if you speak out and voice your opinion. If you would like to speak up you can contact Iowa’s state representatives you can call the House switchboard at (515) 281-3221. Coralville’s representative is Dave Jacoby. If you don’t want Iowa to have laws and regulations on abortions you can contact our state’s representatives and voice your opinion.