• Boys soccer vs. City @ Iowa Soccer Complex- Wednesday @ 7
  • State track and field @ Drake- May 16-18
  • Seniors last day-May 30
  • Graduation- June 2 @1- Xtreme Arena

Mayar
Mayar Aliwaisi
FOJ Intern

(she/her) Mayar is a sophomore, this is the first year she's been on staff. She's an intern. She likes spending her time doing outdoor activities.

Glowing, glamorous and secure: prom safety

It’s important to have fun at prom, but it’s equally important to stay safe while participating in prom activities.
Crowd+of+People+with+boutonnieres+and+corsages+in+front+of+bright+lights.+There+are+Leaves+in+the+foreground+and+bright+lights.+
Airi Thompson
Crowd of People with boutonnieres and corsages in front of bright lights. There are Leaves in the foreground and bright lights.

While prom is a night to take great photos and have fun with friends, it’s also important to remember to stay safe while having fun.

Driving

While driving, you might feel inclined to check your phone — to check your notifications, to tell your friend you’re coming to pick them up or to do anything else. It can always wait until you’ve stopped. It is never safe to text while driving, especially on prom night when it will be dark out.

Although you may have others in the car with you, it’s important for you to remember, as the rider or driver, to keep your eye on the road ahead of you and the cars around you.

Explicit Substances

You should not be doing explicit substances, and you should especially not be combining them with driving or other explicit substances.

After prom

After prom, there are bound to be some after prom parties at friends, acquaintances or even strangers’ homes. While there’s nothing wrong with going to one of these parties because it’s not a school event, there is a good chance that there will be alcohol or other explicit substances or activities occurring. Now, no matter what legal (or illegal) activities might occur it’s important to remember your safety should come first before everything else. No one should be peer-pressuring someone into something they do not feel comfortable doing. While this does not speak for all after prom parties, of course, it’s still important to keep in mind.

If those are not something you aren’t typically into, Party After Prom is a great event set up by parents and volunteers and held at West High School after prom. Full of fun activities and snacks, it is a great safe space to continue to hang out with friends after prom’s end.