• Have a good summer Trojans!

The West High track teams returned to the Blue Oval to compete in the state track championships May 16-18. Check out the link below for a full recap and photos.

The soccer teams took on City High at the University of Iowa Soccer Field last week. Check out the link below for full recap and photos!

The Trojans headed to Drake Stadium for the annual Drake Relays April 26-27. Check out the link below for full recap and photos.

The girls' soccer team showed their offensive power in a statement win over Cedar Rapids Washington. Check out the link below for full recap and photos.

Load More

Soccer teams split games against City

The Trojan soccer teams took on City May 13 and 17. The girls team lost in penalty kicks while the boys won in commanding fashion.
The+students+and+boys+soccer+team+celebrate+after+the+win+against+City+High+May+15.+
Elena Garcia VanAuken
The students and boys’ soccer team celebrate after the win against City High May 15.

The boys and girls soccer teams traveled to the University of Iowa Women’s Soccer Field to take on their cross-town rivals City High. Originally supposed to be a double-header on May 13, the boys team got rained out and had to play on May 16.

Girls

There was lots of ball movement to start the game, but City hit a good pass to put them in a good position. However, Lauryn Hynek ’26 had one of many good saves five minutes into the half. City stayed on West’s half but couldn’t get many shots in.

Alex Held ’26 had some good blocks to move the ball back into the Trojans’ half. Emma Pothoff ’25 followed that up with a good run of her own, but City got the ball back, prompting another save by Hynek.

With 10 minutes left in the first half, Maya Mozena ’24 attempted to convert a corner kick from Serene Hamzeh ’24, but the Little Hawks got the save. Emma Potthoff ’25 had a good look but was blocked by a Little Hawk. A few minutes later, Anna Goska ’26 hit a wide-open goal from an excellent pass, but it was called back due to an offsides penalty.

After no scores in the first half, Ava Garcia VanAuken ’24 hit a goal 10 minutes in to put the Trojans up 1-0. Still up by one, Hynek had another good save with 10 minutes left in the game, but City quickly scored on a corner kick, making the score 1-1.

Maya Mozena ’24 had a good shot, but City made the save. With a minute left, Hynek made another save and the game went into overtime. However, both teams couldn’t get it done in double-overtime, so it came down to penalty kicks. West couldn’t get on the board and City won with two kicks made.

The Trojans will play Cedar Falls at Ed Barker Field May 21 at 7 p.m. for sub-state.

Boys

After the cancellation due to lightning in the area on May 13, the boys didn’t lose their rhythm, beating City 4-1.

It didn’t take any time for the boys to get on the board. Senior Kaleab Wendy capitalized on an excellent pass for the first goal of the night four minutes into the game. Two minutes later, Wendy hit Daniel Fuentes ’25 for the second goal, putting the Trojans up 2-0.

The Little Hawks slowed down the pace, trying to control the tempo. They got into West territory, but Jacob Gilliam ’24 got the save to keep the score 2-0. West had a good string of passes but was fouled by City, leading to a free kick of their own. Liam Teghanemt ’25 was able to convert, putting the West ahead by three at the half.

City High came out strong to start the half but Gilliam had a few good saves to keep the score 3-0. However, on a one-on-one situation, the Little Hawks scored with 18 minutes left in the game. City looked like they might score again but Nathan Heenan ’24 stopped them to give his team back the ball.

West controlled the rest of the game, scoring one last time with seven minutes left, making the final score 4-1. The Trojans will play Dubuque Senior in sub-state May 20 at 7 p.m. at Ed Barker Field.