• Girls Soccer vs. Hempstead- Tuesday @5/7
  • Boys soccer vs. Kennedy-Friday @5/7
  • Graduation- June 2 @1- Xtreme Arena
  • Seniors last day-May 30

Mrudani Ramkumar
Mrudani Ramkumar
Print News Editor

(she/her) Mrudani Ramkumar is a junior at West High and this is her second year on staff. Mrudani's the News Editor for the print edition. Outside the newsroom, she's part of the tennis team and plays...

Girls soccer overwhelms Cedar Rapids Washington in 9-0 win

The girls soccer team put on a show April 23, cruising to victory.
Maya+Mozena+24+kicks+the+ball+toward+her+teammates+April+23+against+Cedar+Rapids+Washington.+
Yaya Orszula
Maya Mozena ’24 kicks the ball toward her teammates April 23 against Cedar Rapids Washington.

The girls’ soccer team played the Cedar Rapids Washington Warriors on a windy Tuesday night, winning almost by double figures. The team, which has only lost two games, showed its offensive prowess in a 9-0 win April 23.

It looked like West was off to a hot start, scoring in the first five minutes of the match, but the goal was called back due to a penalty. Playing in Washington’s half of the field for most of the game, West finally scored 20 minutes in. Shortly after, Taleen Rahhal ’27 scored again to put West up 2-0.

West found their groove, and junior Emma Potthoff scored three minutes later. Maya Mozena ’24 got in on the action when her shot went right through the goalie’s hands, putting West up 4-0 at the half.

Six minutes into the second half, the girls scored again. Again dominating in the Warriors’ half, Ava Garcia VanAuken ’24 scored four minutes later. The Trojans were held scoreless for the next 20 minutes, but Alex Held ’26 brought them back with a goal, putting them up 7-0.

With 10 minutes left, the Trojans scored twice more, earning them a 9-0 victory. The team will be back at home against Linn-Mar on April 30 at 6:45 p.m.