• Walk it out- Saturday in Auditorium
  • Girls soccer vs. Wash- Tuesday @home
  • Drake Relays this weekend- Drake Stadium
  • Class president elections later this week
  • Choir trip to Chicago- Thursday-Saturday

Tessa Gibson 24
Tessa Gibson
Profiles Editor

(she/her) Tessa is a senior this year and this is her 3rd year on staff. She is the profiles editor and one of the social media editors. She loves reality tv shows and ice cream.

Oscar nominee review: Despicable Me 2

Credit: Universal Pictures

By: Meredith Cullen and Katie Mons

Gru and his Minions are back in Despicable Me 2, the second film from Universal Pictures about the villain and his adventures. But Gru is faced with a more daunting task in this sequel – finding love.

This time, instead of being the villain, Gru is trying to catch the criminal.  Gru is recruited by the Anti-Villain League to recover a top secret formula that could destroy the world. But his new role of being a father almost stops him from living his life-long dream of fighting crime. Gru teams up with Lucy Wilde from the AVL to find the lost serum and recover it before more destruction can occur. During his mission, Gru’s children encourage him to enter the world of dating, making the mission more complex than he originally signed on for.

Gru’s character expands as we see him step into a fatherly role raising Margo, Edith and Agnes and as he opens his heart to find love. Not only can kids relate to this movie, but parents can too through watching Gru’s maternal instincts take charge to protect his children. Universal Pictures did a much better job with this sequel in developing Gru’s character than in the first film. Steve Carell did a nice job keeping his tone of voice constant throughout the film while still bringing emotion to a voice he normally doesn’t speak in. All of the other actors made their characters come alive even more through the emotions in their voices. The film brought together a wide array of actors, but they all did a great job.

Fans who loved the Minions from the first Despicable Me film will love this sequel even more. The popular Minions take a bigger role in Gru’s mission and will make you laugh even more than the Despicable Me prequel. If you love the Minions, make sure to watch for the next film from Universal Pictures in the Despicable Me category, Minions will hit theatres on July 10, 2015. Universal Pictures has also already prepared another sequel, Despicable Me 3, which will be released on June 30, 2017.

The movie made $964,761,265 in the box office and it’s easy to see why. It is fun for all ages and captivates you as you cheer Gru on to find the culprit and save the world. The film has already been nominated for a Golden Globe and an Oscar in the category “Best Animated Feature” and an Oscar in “Best Original Song” for Pharrell William’s hit single, “Happy.” Universal Pictures blew their first film out of the water with Despicable Me 2. It will have you at the edge of your seat and laughing together. This animated film is definitely one to watch as it vies for an Academy Award.

$1400
$1000

$1400
$1000

Activate Search
Oscar nominee review: Despicable Me 2