A legacy leaves

After spending half her life debating, Megan Johnson and Travis Henderson have decided to step down as the West High head debate coaches. WSS spoke with Johnson about her time as coach, and what her future holds.

Social+studies+teacher%2C+Megan+Johnson+poses+for+a+photo+in+her+classroom+on+Wednesday%2C+March+7.+

Kara Wagenknecht

Social studies teacher, Megan Johnson poses for a photo in her classroom on Wednesday, March 7.

Since she was 14 years old, Megan Johnson has devoted her life to speech and debate. In 2012, she came to West as the head coach of the debate team, and soon after began teaching social studies. Now, after spending half her life debating, Johnson is moving onto new things, and will resign as the West High debate coach.

As the head coach, Johnson spent her time juggling many tasks, from teaching novice debaters to booking hotel rooms for tournaments. But beyond all those responsibilities, she said she will miss the friendships the most.

Megan Johnson has been there for me unconditionally. Honestly, [she has] brought light to my life.

— Lauren Ernst '18

“You spend a lot of time with your debaters as a coach on the weekends traveling long distances or hanging out in airports . . . The debate team is like a family,” she said. “I’ve always enjoyed debate because teaching students how to be informed citizens and how to make and recognize quality arguments is something I feel passionately about; our society needs more of that.”

And the friendships Johnson has built are important to the students involved.

“All the times that she spent her weekends with us at tournaments, driving late at night, tolerating Pranav and Spencer’s cackles, taking the stress out of a very stressful activity; [she became] a combination of a caring parent and close friend,” said Team Captain Ethan Trepka ‘18.

Lauren Ernst ’18 said she believes that Johnson’s caring nature goes farther than the topic of debate.

“Megan Johnson has been there for me unconditionally. She has helped me not only with debate but with life. She believed in me at times when I didn’t believe in myself. Regardless of what problem I was having, Megan was always someone I could go to and she would help me work through it,” Ernst said. “Honestly, Megan . . . [has] brought light to my life.”

I feel like it’s time to make time for other things I want to do. I also feel like it’s been hard to give 100% to both teaching and debate, and I want to be able to be the best teacher I can be.

— Megan Johnson

Despite the shared love for debate between Johnson and the team, she is hoping to move on to other things, such as getting her masters degree.

“I feel like it’s time to make time for other things I want to do. I also feel like it’s been hard to give 100% to both teaching and debate, and I want to be able to be the best teacher I can be,” she said. “I look forward to having more time and energy to invest in my teaching and in other student organizations I’m involved with, such as student senate. I’m also considering getting my masters degree in school counseling or school administration.”

But for now, Johnson is “happy with her students” and plans to continue teaching social studies at West.

While Johnson will still remain at school, members of the debate team will miss her heartfelt coaching style. Elisa Nisly ’19 is grateful for the way she has coached the team to success.

“The way the team is run is a big part of what makes it fun,” Nisly said. “She’s been able to inspire a lot of passion for debate within the team and that brings people together.”

The replacement for debate coach has not been announced as of now.