AFT on break, adds time to classes

Due to skipping during the allotted time of AFT, the administration has decided to cancel the study period for all students until after spring break.

Alyssa Skala, Yearbook Managing Editor

The administration has decided to re-evaluate when the time given for AFT is. Students returning to West High on Tuesday to begin their third trimester were met with a schedule change. In the latest weekly Principal, Gregg Shoultz, announced AFT would go on hiatus until spring break. 

“[We cancelled AFT] because we feel like we need a reset with the purpose of AFT. We walk by some classrooms and see it being used for the purposes that it’s designed for, but we also see lots of students in the hallways or not where they are supposed to be. We need a reset and need to reevaluate what the most effective way to give this time academic focus time to students who need it,” said assistant principal Luke DeVries.

After spring break, the administration plans to move AFT to the end of the day, instead of the original slot, which was after sixth period. The new time will be from 3:26pm until 4:00pm, giving students the last portion of the day to see a teacher. AFT has been shortened a few minutes, but students are able to stay past the normal 4:00 bell. 

“Students who do not want to be involved in AFT will need to leave the building at that time. The reason we are doing this is because when we have 20-30 kids in a classroom it is difficult to work with students one-on-one. We thought if we decreased the number of the students in the building it might give teachers the opportunity to give more one-on-one help to students who have fallen behind in a class,” DeVries said.

We want AFT to be a time that is effective for teachers and for students, starting the trimester like this is the best time to try out new options and see if there is an option that works better than what we are currently doing.

— Luke DeVries

Lots of students have questioned about how structured this new AFT will be, and if there is going to be attendance. The short answer is that there will not be attendance in PowerSchool. 

“We are still working out the details but I believe we will still be using FlexiSched to request teachers. Although there will not be attendance in PowerSchool during this time since it is optional to stay in the building,” DeVries said. “There is a way to take attendance of who is requested through FlexiSched. As office staff we can see the attendance and see what kids are coming to AFT to get help and if they are not they will have a talk with an administrator or the teacher requesting them.”

After students return from spring break the change will be in place. The administration hopes that the new and improved AFT will boost struggling students’ to get more one-on-one help from a teacher. 

“We want AFT to be a time that is effective for teachers and for students, starting the trimester like this is the best time to try out new options and see if there is an option that works better than what we are currently doing,” DeVries said.