• Walk it out- Saturday in Auditorium
  • Girls soccer vs. Wash- Tuesday @home
  • Drake Relays this weekend- Drake Stadium
  • Class president elections later this week
  • Choir trip to Chicago- Thursday-Saturday

Falling apart at the seams

Fast fashion is a dominant strategy in the clothes market. Some West High students thrift instead.
Photo used with permission from Ramata Traore

Fast fashion is something lots of us know about. Every time a pair of jeans is thrown out, around 1,800 gallons of water are wasted. Clothing brands that specialize in the tactics of fast fashion create even more amounts of waste in the pursuit of money. SHEIN is a very well-known perpetrator, creating about 10,000 new clothes a day in order to keep up with trends.

People often cite thrifting as a solution to this wasteful problem. Ramata Traore ’24, who thrifts regularly, agrees. “I think thrifting is a better alternative to fast fashion because you can find more stuff for less, and it’s also a way to have circular fashion,” Ramata said. “Sometimes when I thrift, I go to stores like Plato’s closet. I bring clothes in and they might give you a voucher and you can just shop. so it’s a way to keep the cycle going.”

I think fast fashion has reduced the quality of clothing. Even though there are some styles that I like, I don’t ever don’t ever want to actually buy the clothes, because when I shop I like to look at the materials in the clothes. [The clothes] just don’t last as long.

— Ramata Traore '24

Ramata Traore ’24 sports a sweater from Ragstock, a thrift store in downtown Iowa City. (Abiba Amisi)

Other than circular fashion, she thrifts because of fast fashion’s affect on clothes. “I think fast fashion has reduced the quality of clothing,” she said. “Even though there are some styles that I like, I don’t ever don’t ever want to actually buy the clothes, because when I shop I like to look at the materials in the clothes. [The clothes] just don’t last as long.”

In a similar vein, Ivy Hendrickson ’25 thrifts for the surprise and saving money. “Originally, I did it so it would be cheaper, since it was more affordable than a lot of stores. But I also think it’s fun because you never know what you’re gonna find.”

Ivy Hendrickson ’25 shows off a sweater she bought at Stuff Etc. The thrift shop also sells jewelry, and even furniture. (Gwyneth Blackburn)

While Hendrickson likes thrifting, she worries about the effects of its popularity, especially on those who have limited options. “It can cause problems because it’s similar to fast fashion, people cycle through trends. And thrifting is a trend, so people buy a bunch of stuff at the thrift stores, and they still end up throwing it away afterwards,” Ivy said. “I feel like that’s one of the main problems. Also upping the prices, because for a lot of people, thrift stores are kind of their only option.”

Still, she rules in favor of thrifting, because of its positive environmental impact, and combating of fast fashion.
“I think thrifting’s a lot better for the environment and saving money. And if people tried to stop buying so much fast fashion, it will be better for the environment.”