Yaya Orszula 24
Yaya Orszula
Sports Editor

(she/her) Yaya is a senior and this is her second year on staff. She is the sports editor and enjoys running cross country and track, making bracelets and rock climbing.

Sudanese Student Organization 2023 recap

A recap of everything the Sudanese Student Organization has accomplished in 2023.

The main goal behind the Sudanese Student Organization has been to create a space for Sudanese Students at West High School. This space didn’t exist until 2023, and the SSO has already held multiple events and fundraisers in support of Sudan and to help create unity at West High.

In October of 2023, the SSO held a soccer game on the football field. Despite the chilly weather, the air was full of positive energy and good sportsmanship.

Since then, they have held a movie night featuring “You Will Die at Twenty”. Directed by Amjad Abu Alala, the film tells the story of a young man who at a young age was prophesized to die at 20. “You will Die at Twenty” is also the first Sudanese film to ever be submitted for an Oscar competition.

A fundraiser they held more recently was during the final week of January where they held a bracelet-making workshop for Sudan.

While there aren’t currently any announcements or posters up about events upcoming events in 2024; save for a bracelet fundraiser that happened in January; as of writing this, there does not appear to be any plans for any large-scale events.

In summary, 2023 has been an incredibly productive 2nd year for the Sudanese Student Organization; and it’s safe to say that the SSO have accomplished the goals they set out for themselves.