Softball sweeps Dubuque Wahlert on senior night

The softball team swept Dubuque Wahlert 7-3 and 14-2 in their senior night doubleheader on July 1.

Alaina Greenlee

Hanah Kitamoto, Print Co-Editor-In-Chief

Not only did the softball team celebrate their three seniors last night, but they also capped off a doubleheader by sweeping Dubuque Wahlert 7-3 and 14-2 on July 1.

The Trojans got on the scoreboard early in the game, scoring three runs by the end of the third inning. A double from Wahlert and walks tied the game 3-3 in the top of the fourth inning. Pitcher Alina Davis ’22 escaped a bases-loaded jam by striking out the last batter of the inning. In the bottom of the fourth, an RBI single from Ella Nelson ’23 scored Ashley Dyson ’21 for the Trojans to regain the lead 4-3. Senior catcher Rylee Goodfellow then went on to hit a double to send Nelson to third. Liv Williams ’21 hit a single the next at-bat, scoring courtesy runner Ava Heilskov ’23 and Nelson. The Trojans led the Eagles at the bottom of the fourth inning 6-3. Max Pech ’25 stepped onto the rubber in the top of the fifth inning for the Trojans and kept Wahlert batters off of the bases. Senior Liv Williams’ groundout added another run for the Trojans, making the final score 7-3 West in game one of the doubleheader.

The Eagles were the first on the scoreboard in game two of the doubleheader. After giving up two runs in the top of the first inning, junior Maddie Caylor and sophomore Tamiah Teran’s RBI singles equalized the score 2-2. The Trojans kept their momentum and had a productive 10-run third inning. RBIs from Caylor, Lexi Nash ’23, Teran, Goodfellow and Ava Davis ’22 widened the score to 12-2 at the end of the third. Consistent fly ball catches by senior left fielder Ashley Dyson kept the Eagles from scoring in the fourth inning. Williams’ single secured the Trojans’ win with a final score of 14-2 in four innings. The Trojans improved their record to 9-20.

The softball team will host the Rick Doran Classic at the University of Iowa softball complex and West High on July 2-3.