• Have a good summer Trojans!

Minna Abdulla 26
Minna Abdalla
Assistant Sports Editor

(she/her) Minna is a sophomore at West High and this is her first year on staff. Her job title on staff is assistant sports editor. In her free time she likes to go bike rides, play soccer and hang out...

Finals with West High’s Film Club

Film Club has been canceled for this week but they announce their next few showings going into the third trimester.
Jules Keranen
Film Club meets in the Little Theater every other Friday after school.

Film Club has canceled their bi-weekly showing due to finals being this week. They will be showing “Grave of the Fireflies” on Friday, March 8 after school in the Little Theater. 

Grave of the Fireflies” is an animated Japanese film that follows a pair of siblings during World War II. Directed by Isao Takahata and produced by Studio Ghibli, this critically acclaimed film is a gut-wrenching story presented through the eyes of children. The movie is based on the 1967 semi-autobiographical novel by Akiyuki Nosaka. The film focuses on an older brother Seita Yokohawa voiced by Tsutomu Tatsumi and his younger sister Setsuko Yokohawa voiced by Ayano Shinohara.

The basic plot follows the end of World War II as the Americans bomb Japan, destroying most of the city of Kobe in the process. The bombings leave the sibling’s mother horrifically burned and eventually dead, which Seita then has to hide from his younger sister. From there they move in with their aunt who becomes progressively more abusive toward the siblings, believing them to be freeloaders and only thinking of herself.

Seita eventually takes Setsuko and runs away with her, finding a new home in a bomb shelter. He attempts to take adequate care of his sister while still being a child himself.

With commentary on Imperial Japan, politics affecting citizens, the horrors of World War II and the way children deal with grief, this movie isn’t one to miss. No matter if you’re a history nerd or animation fan or just in need of a good movie, this is a perfect film that carries heavy meaning to be unpacked and discussed.

In the future film club will be presenting more diverse films that could be anything from “Kubo and the Two Strings” to “12 Angry Men” to “La La Land.

Film Club wishes Trojans good luck on finals and they hope to see you at their free showings in the future!