2024 Oscars: movies to look out for

As the 2024 Oscars draw closer, keep these 2023 movies on your radar.
The 2024 Oscars will be broadcast through ABC on March 10.
Samuel Rosenthal
Methods

With the upcoming Oscars in March, we have compiled a list of 10 movies to put on your watchlist in preparation for the awards before nominations are announced so you can get a jump start. Predicted nominations and winners were determined by personal opinion, prediction research, past Oscar winners and award season results thus far.

“Anatomy of a Fall”
“Anatomy of a Fall”

Premise: A courtroom drama set in France follows Sandra Voyter (played by Sandra Hüller), a writer whose husband dies from a suspected murder. The prime suspect—her. Soon, their blind son is forced to grapple with the pressures of being the only witness to the events. Did Sandra commit the crime? Will she be convicted? What actually happened?

Predicted nominations: Best Picture, Lead Actress, Original Screenplay

Predicted wins:

Due to all of the praise and awards “Anatomy of a Fall” has received so far, it is likely that the film will be nominated for several top categories. However, the Academy Awards don’t typically award foreign films with many top-category Oscars outside of 2019’s “Parasite.”

Deserves to win: 

“Barbie”
“Barbie”

Premise: A lighthearted comedy filled with emotional moments, “Barbie” follows Barbie (played by Margot Robbie) in her journey from Barbie Land into the real world with Ken (Ryan Gosling). There, she learns the truth about Barbie Land and herself.

Predicted nominations: Best Picture, Lead Actress, Supporting Actor, Director, Adapted Screenplay, Original Song, Costume, Makeup and Hairstyling, Production Design, Editing

Predicted wins: Adapted Screenplay, Original Song, Production Design

For this year’s Academy Awards, it is a fight between “Barbie” and “Oppenheimer” for the most awards. Categories such as Adapted Screenplay and Supporting Actor are toss-ups; however, “Barbie” has a screenplay written from scratch, so it can be a strong competitor, although due to “Barbie’s” comedic tone, it is hard for actors to win in comedic roles

Deserves to win: Supporting Actor, Adapted Screenplay, Original Song, Production Design, Costume

“The Boy and the Heron”
“The Boy and the Heron”

Premise: In 1940s Japan, 12-year-old Mahito Maki’s mother is killed in a tragic incident, causing Mahito’s family to move. When a talking Heron tells Mahito (played by Soma Santoki) that his mother is still alive, Mahito and the Heron set out on an adventure to discover the truth as well as new worlds. 

Predicted nominations: Best Animated Feature, Score

Predicted wins:

Due to “The Boy and the Heron’s” win for Best Animated Feature at the Golden Globes it is undoubtedly getting a nomination at the Oscars. However, “Across the Spider-Verse” is likely to win the award for animation due to its other predicted nominations and a prior win for “Into the Spider-Verse” to lean on.

Deserves to win:

“The Holdovers”
“The Holdovers”

Premise: A dramedy starring Paul Hunham (played by Paul Giamatti), a boarding school professor who is widely disliked by staff and students. With the holiday break approaching, Hunham is tasked with watching after the Holdovers at school, a group of students who have no plans over break, along with Mary (played by Da’Vine Joy Randolph), the school chef.

Predicted nominations: Best Picture, Lead Actor, Supporting Actress, Original Screenplay

Predicted wins: Supporting Actress, Original Screenplay

With Da’Vine Joy Randolph’s 30+ awards won so far it’s likely she’ll take home an Oscar for her supporting role. It’s a three-way race for screenplay between this, “Anatomy of a Fall” and “Past Lives,” however, the Academy typically shies away from awarding non-English films.

Deserves to win: Supporting Actress

“Killers of the Flower Moon”
“Killers of the Flower Moon”

Premise: Set in the 1920s, Ernest Burkhart (played by Leonardo Dicaprio) returns from war, falling in love with Mollie Kyle (played by Lily Gladstone), a member of the wealthy Osage tribe. Soon numbers of the Osage tribe begin dying off, but who is committing the murders, how and why?

Predicted nominations: Best Picture, Lead Actor, Lead Actress, Supporting Actor, Director, Adapted Screenplay, Sound, Score, Costume, Production Design, Editing

Predicted wins: Lead Actress

In a two-way race between Lily Gladstone and Emma Stone’s incredible performances, Gladstone stands a good chance against Stone due to Stone already having an Oscar and the Academy typically awarding dramas. Most of the other technical awards are picked up by other films.

Deserves to win: Lead Actress

“Maestro”
“Maestro”

Premise: Starring and directed by Bradley Cooper, “Maestro” follows Leonard Bernstein and his relationship with Felicia Bernstein (played by Carey Mulligan) as they progress through their lives as an emerging composer and an actress.

Predicted nominations: Best Picture, Lead Actor, Lead Actress, Director, Original Screenplay, Makeup and Hairstyling, Sound-Editing

Predicted wins: Makeup and Hairstyling

Due to “Maestro’s” mixed reception, it is unlikely it will win many categories outside of its notable character makeup.

Deserves to win: Makeup and Hairstyling

“Oppenheimer”
“Oppenheimer”

Premise: As World War II rages on, physics professor Robert Oppenheimer (Cillian Murphy) is tasked with pulling a team of geniuses together to develop the world’s most powerful weapon to use for war—a bomb. Oppenheimer and the team soon face personal conflicts, moral dilemmas and government challenges as their invention seems to take a toll on everyone.

Predicted nominations: Best Picture, Lead Actor, Supporting Actor, Supporting Actress, Director, Adapted Screenplay, Sound, Score, Cinematography, Editing

Predicted wins: Best Picture, Lead Actor, Supporting Actor, Director, Sound, Score, Cinematography, Editing

As the Oscar film to beat, “Oppenheimer” has many things going for it including its technical prowess, the Academy Award-favored historical drama theme and the potential first-time wins for legacy celebrities such as Christopher Nolan and Robert Downey Jr..

Deserves to win: Best Picture, Lead Actor, Director, Sound, Cinematography, Editing

“Past Lives”
“Past Lives”

Premise: A present-day romance that follows Nora (played by Greta Lee) and Hae Sung (played by Teo Yoo), a pair of childhood friends who, after Nora immigrated to the U.S., both lost touch. Years later, after finding each other online, the two begin to catch up and discover how each other’s lives have changed.

Predicted nominations: Best Picture, Original Screenplay

Predicted wins: 

Unfortunately, due to “Past Lives'” status as a directorial debut, it is unlikely director Celine Song’s film will garner many Oscars.

Deserves to win: Original Screenplay

“Poor Things”
“Poor Things”

Premise: Bella Baxter (played by Emma Stone) is resurrected by scientist Godwin Baxter (played by Willem Dafoe). Excited to discover the world, she runs off with a lawyer to explore.

Predicted nominations: Best Picture, Lead Actress, Supporting Actor, Director, Adapted Screenplay, Costume, Production Design, Score, Editing

Predicted wins: Costume

Due to “Poor Things'” obscure and over-the-top nature, it is possible that many Academy Award voters may shy away from awarding “Poor Things” many Oscars outside of costuming (because the Academy really likes historical costuming).

Deserves to win: 

“Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse”
“Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse”

Premise: A continuation of 2018’s “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse,” the second film stars Miles Morales (voiced by Shameik Moore) as he travels through the multiverse with Gwen Stacey (voiced by Hailee Steinfeld). There, he meets the endless fellow Spider-People and their leader, Spider-Man 2099, and faces a new enemy, the Spot, who seeks to kill Morales’ father.

Predicted nominations: Best Animated Feature, Score, Visual Effects

Predicted wins: Best Animated Feature

With all of “Spider-Man Across the Spider-Verse’s” success financially and especially critically, it is incredibly likely to secure multiple technical nominations and a win for Best Animated Feature.

Deserves to win: Best Animated Feature, Score