The return of Film Club

After over a decade West High’s Film Club makes its grand return with free bi-weekly movie showings and meetings in room 128.
Jule
Film Club returns to West High.

While working through the club fair, you may stumble upon West High’s Film Club. After a decade without it, it’s finally returning with its first showing, “The Princess Bride,” directed by Rob Reiner, on Sep. 27 after school. Movie showings will be bi-weekly, with notices posted beforehand on the club’s Instagram.

‘Anyone with an interest in film is welcome, and the goal is to dig deeper into the media we love and examine what makes it so impactful and unique as an art form.’

— Jack Furlong '24

In between meetings, the club will meet in room 128 with the club sponsor being Mr. Frese, who’s helped run the club in the past and is looking forward to doing so again. During these meetings, members will discuss different genres, analyze films, pick apart how cinema has evolved over time and engage in fun activities revolving around film. Anyone and everyone are welcome to the movie showings and are free to sign up at the club fair or join later!

“I think Film Club will provide a great space for people with an interest in storytelling from all kinds of different perspectives.” Jack Furlong ‘24, one of the founding members of the club, said. “Anyone with an interest in film is welcome, and the goal is to dig deeper into the media we love and examine what makes it so impactful and unique as an art form.” 

After the bi-weekly movie showings the audience has the opportunity to stay for a short discussion led by members of the Film Club where viewers can engage in anything from trivia, questions about the movie, things they found interesting or just fun facts centering around the movie. Accompanying “The Princess Bride,” other films being shown by Film Club include Studio Ghibli’s “Howl’s Moving Castle,” the newly released drama “Past Lives” directed by Celine Song and the Academy-award nominated drama “Sound of Metal” directed by Darius Marder. 

Featuring lots of good movies, offering free popcorn and sparking interesting conversations, Film Club’s return is definitely something you don’t want to miss out on!