Winter sports athletes to watch

As winter sports get into full swing, these athletes will be fun to watch heading into the season.
Max Gerke ’24 qualifies in the 500 freestyle Feb. 10.
Gianna Liu
Lucy Wolf 24 works past Libertys defense on Feb. 4.
Girls basketball

Senior Lucy Wolf has been a great contributor to West’s offense and had a field goal percentage of 40.6 last season. Along with that, Wolf had a total of 20 assists and rebounds. She’s expected to have a very impressive season this year.

During her freshman year, Grace Fincham ’26 scored 203 points, making up two-thirds of the team’s overall points. Since the beginning of her freshman year, she has proved to be one of the team’s most precise shooters. With a field goal percentage of 48.7 so far, she has the highest of all her teammates. On the court, Grace has a very dominant presence, and with great passing and shooting ability, she can make a sizable impact.

One of the newest players of the team, Sasha Baldwin ’27, has had a lot of experience on the court and is expected to have an impactful year. It’s only the start of the season and she is the second-leading scorer out of her team. With a field goal percentage of 42.1 alongside a total of 47 points. Baldwin has proved herself to be a dynamic playmaker so far.

Lucy Wolf ’24 works past Liberty’s defense on Feb. 4. (Ceci De Young)
Jacob Koch blows past his defender Nov. 28 against Clear Creek Amana.
Boys basketball

Senior Jacob Koch had a great season last year and is expected to have an even better one this year. Koch was one of West’s top three scorers with a field goal percentage of 42.0 and a total of 241 points, the second most on the team, and 36 assists. Koch was also helpful on the defensive side with 23 steals.

Although not able to play many games because of an injury, Kareem Earl ’24 stood out. So far Earl has a field goal percentage of 61.5, being the most efficient on the team. Now healthy, Earl is expected to make an even bigger impact.

Making the top 20 in points out of all 4A athletes last season, Jack McCaffery ’25 has a lot to bring to the table. With a field goal percentage of 43.4 and a total of 368 points, McCaffrey led his team. He also grabbed 170 rebounds and was the top-shot blocker in Class 4A with 89 blocks. Many are excited to see what McCaffery brings to the court this season.

Jacob Koch blows past his defender Nov. 28 against Clear Creek Amana. (Minna Abdalla)
Whitney Noeller 24 kicks off her frame in the individual round.
Girls and boys bowling

During his freshman year in bowling, Carston Guess ’26 was top three on his team, totaling 3534 pins. At the Battle for the Pins, Guess came in second place for West with a total of 377, He’s expected to have a great season this year, attempting to help his team get to state.

Whitney Noeller ’24 had an impressive season last year with a total of 4025 pins, putting her at the top of the list. She has played in 6 games this season and totaled 972 pins, once again placing her at the top of her team. With such impressive stats, Noeller is expected to have a great season.

Whitney Noeller ’24 kicks off her frame in the individual round. (Alaina Greenlee)
Winston Fan ’26 swims the 200 IM Feb. 11.
Boys swimming

Senior Max Gerke will look to finish off his high school career with a state podium finish. He placed eighth in the 200 and 500 free last year. Gerke also anchored his 200 free relay that placed seventh.

Winston Fan ’26 will attempt to improve on his debut season. He finished eighth in the 100 breaststroke a year ago. Both swam on the 400 free relay, helping their team to a ninth-place finish a year ago at state.

Winston Fan ’26 swims the 200 IM Feb. 11. (Gianna Liu)
Helen Orszula 24 attempts to get her opponent on her back Nov. 30 on the first day of the Donnybrook tournament.
Girls wrestling

Lone senior Helen Orszula will look to bounce back after a season-ending elbow injury. It will be interesting to see how she leads a relatively inexperienced team as the sport was sanctioned just a year ago.

It will be fun watching the girls wrestling team improve from a year ago. Trinity Myers ’25 will look to be a vital member of the team, hoping to advance her skills this year in the 125 weight class.

Helen Orszula ’24 attempts to get her opponent on her back Nov. 30 on the first day of the Donnybrook tournament. (Yaya Orszula)
Kyle Scranton 24 gets up after a takedown Dec. 7 against Western Dubuque.
Boys wrestling

Though placing fifth at Donnybrook, don’t be surprised to see Alex Pierce ’26 win another state title as the only match he lost was to an Illinois wrestler. It will be interesting to see how going up to 113 will impact Pierce.

Senior Kyler Scranton will look to improve on his eighth-place finish at state in the 152 weight class. With new classes in the upper weights, Scranton wrestled at Donnybrook at 175, finishing in seventh place.

We’ll also look forward to Justin Avila ’25 showing prowess on the wrestling mat. He was third at the Mississippi Valley Conference meet and had a 36-7 record heading into the state qualifier last year. He finished in seventh place in the 150 weight class.

Kyle Scranton ’24 gets up after a takedown Dec. 7 against Western Dubuque. (Gianna Liu)