Minna Abdulla 26
Minna Abdalla
Assistant Sports Editor

(she/her) Minna is a sophomore at West High and this is her first year on staff. Her job title on staff is assistant sports editor. In her free time she likes to go bike rides, play soccer and hang out...

Q&A with West High bowler Maddie Otis ’24

Four-year varsity bowler Madeline Otis ’24 shares her thoughts on the West High bowling team and aspirations for the future as a team.
Helen Orszula
A West High bowler hits their mark for a perfect bowl.

West Side Story: Why did you originally join the West High bowling team?

Maddie Otis: Whitney’s [Noeller ‘24] older brother did it with some of his friends and freshman year, she kind of forced me to go out with her to just check it out. We were just doing it just to see what it was, and we ended up really liking it.

WSS: What has made bowling unique?

MO: The people, for sure. There are so many different people, especially because it’s Liberty and CCA combined. There are so many different people and personalities.

WSS: How would you describe the team environment?

MO: I feel like we have a lot of energy as a team. Nobody’s judging you for what you get. It’s just fun [and an] uplifting environment.

WSS: Do you have any particular favorite moments in your career?

MO: I always love away meets because on the bus ride there, we have the speaker, and we’re all jammin’ out. And the Baker Tournament, as long as it is, it’s kind of fun to see other people’s chants.

WSS: Do you have any goals for yourself or the team by the end of the season?

MO: I just want to be more consistent and get higher scores because I didn’t do very much bowling since last season. For the team, some more wins than last year. I think it would just be cool to see more people qualify [for state].

WSS: Is there any particular impact you’d like to leave on the team moving forward?

MO: I just want people to not be afraid to try new things. I was so scared to do bowling because I never bowled before, so I just want people to put themselves out there. You’re only in high school for four years, do something fun.

WSS: How would you convince a possibly hesitant person to join the team?

MO: I would just tell them about the schedule, how it’s only two days a week. It’s very low impact. You’re not going to have to lift and run sprints if you do badly. It’s fun because not a lot of people do it, so if you do it with one or two close friends, you’ll make so many memories.

WSS: Do you have any advice for interested bowlers going into the season?

MO: Just have fun. Don’t be too hard on yourself; you’ll make progress. Everybody has a bad game. Everybody doesn’t break 100 one time; it’s okay.

WSS: Do you think West High will win the king or queen pin against City [High] this year?

MO: I hope so. I have faith in us.