Coach Frese celebrates the girls victory against City High Dec 22. The girls won 63-57 in the Double Header.
Coach Frese celebrates the girls’ victory against City High Dec 22. The girls won 63-57 in the Double Header.

Trojans dominate the Little Hawks in cross-town matchup

Winter break has started but that didn’t stop West High’s gym from filling up with east and west siders as West and City met for a girls and boys double-header on Dec. 22.
West girls basketball take on the Little Hawks

On Friday, Dec. 22 the girls basketball team took on the West High court one more time before winter break. With a close game and a lot of anticipation, West girls took the win with some amazing plays and teamwork.

To start the first quarter of the game West takes the lead 20-18, but as the game comes to an end City and West tie 48-48. With time still left on the clock, West girls put on their game face, and took the lead, ending the game 63-57.

Sophomore Grace Fincham was a powerhouse last night scoring 33 points most consisting of 3-pointers helping put them in the lead, as well as six rebounds and a total of four assists.

Although City put on an aggressive game West continued strong, freshman Sasha Baldwin put on some great defense with four rebounds as well as scoring 11 points.

As halftime begins the Trojans walk into the locker room with a 28-20 lead, but City is close to the win. When they come back City puts on a serious game putting them in the lead but West doesn’t back down.

Kate Van Waning ’26 and Ava Frese ’26 push the team ahead, Frese scores a total of six points keeping West in the lead and Van Waning helps with defense having a total of four rebounds and even two assists. Abby Neumiller comes in at the end with a great 3-pointer giving West the guaranteed win.

Stay tuned as the girls will host another home game at the end of winter break against Xavier High School on Jan. 5.

Boys fight back against the Little Hawks

The rain may have continued outside, but Bergman’s boys brought the storm to the West High main gym. With the momentum from the girl’s 67-53 win over the little Hawks, the 5-1 Trojans continued to bring the heat.

Our mentality going in was that we knew we were better, and as long as we stuck to what was right, we would win this game.

— Jacob Koch '24

After a 25-point win against the Jefferson Jay-Hawks on Tuesday night, the Trojans knew they needed to continue their streak.

“The Jefferson game really highlighted what was working for us on offense like the fast break.” said  Koch.

Junior Jack McCaffrey won the tip. West was quickly on the board with a swift layup from Sophomore Julian “Juju” Manson.

The Little Hawks were unable to score before  Koch got the ball back for a 3-pointer, shot right in front of the City High bench.

City’s AJ Wright ’24 was first on the board for the Little Hawks, with 6:30 left to spare in the first quarter. The back and forth continued, and Little Hawk guard Jonathon Watkins ’24 sunk a 3-pointer to end the first quarter with the Trojans leading 19-14.

Junior Trey Wright and Watkins shot 3-pointers in the first 2 minutes of the second quarter, pushing the Little Hawks to their first lead of the game, ahead of the Trojans by 1-point.

Senior Kareem Earl didn’t let that stop their momentum and quickly converted a free throw to tie the game at 20.

Both teams clawed through the second quarter, the Trojans looking to defend their last win against City High in January of 2023 and the Little Hawks looking to take back the crown.

With West trailing 34-31, Koch steals the ball back and goes to the line for two free throws with 12 seconds left in the first half. Koch was able to make one, and West headed into the locker room trailing by 2.

The West High pep band, along with Hector and the Trojan Cheer team, kept Trojan spirits up.

The Little Hawks controlled much of the third quarter, pushing West head coach Steve Bergmann to call a timeout in the third minute, with the Trojans trailing 35-44.

West was able to climb back ending the third quarter with a McCaffrey 3-pointer, advancing to the last quarter trailing by one-point, 49-50.

“[In the huddle] we were mostly talking about possible offensive plays and explaining what we needed to be ready for. We also talked even more about what we needed to do on defense like take away them shooting 3’s.” said Koch.

The Trojans went into the last quarter knowing what they needed to do to defeat this team.

Another McCaffrey 3-pointer put the Trojans up 52-50.

The fourth quarter was a defensive battle for both teams, both sides only getting a few points on the board, causing a City timeout with West leading 56-54 with four minutes left.

An Earl rebound solidified the Trojans 68-57 victory. Keeping the cross-town rival champion title in the halls of West High.