Java House jolt: a sip into West High culture

Brewing community near West High grounds, Java House, a local coffee shop, is a favorite among students and staff alike.
As a Java regular for the past five years, Lily Polgreen 27 comes here whenever she can. Whether it be studying, hanging out with friends or just picking up a sweet treat, The Java House is definitely a favorite for Polgreen.
As a Java regular for the past five years, Lily Polgreen ’27 comes here whenever she can. Whether it be studying, hanging out with friends or just picking up a sweet treat, The Java House is definitely a favorite for Polgreen.
Colin Wehrle

A local West favorite, The Java House is a Trojan go-to amongst West’s students and faculty. A place to study, hang out or get coffee after school, it’s very convenient as it is only five minutes away from West. With delicious drinks and snacks, this coffee shop has it all. Come along as we interview multiple individuals from the West community on their Java runs, whether it be working after school or going to spend time with friends. 

Java is a must-have for lots of West faculty. For guidance secretary Brittany McConnell, coffee is an essential part of her daily routine, whether it be at home with her husband or at Java House.  

“I love coffee,” McConnell said. “[When] I worked downtown I would frequent Java House a lot. Once I got this job, I was very ecstatic to find out that it was just down the hill. I go there on my lunch breaks every now and then when I need my fix.”  

McConnell goes to Java around once a week and has been going for the past 20 years. Even as a student, McConnell would go often in her free time.  

“When I was in college, I’d go there to study. It was a nice peaceful time where I could hang out by myself, and just put my nose in my books and have my coffee with me.” 

Not only was Java House a part of McConnell’s student life, but it also was for biology teacher Ellen Robinson.

“I grew up in Iowa City and went to Java House as a high school student. My friends and I would go just to have something to do on weekends.”

Even after moving out of Iowa City and back, Robinson still visits Java regularly, as she loves the environment and the convenience of it. 

“I left Iowa City for 20 years, and moved back 18 months ago. There’s a Java near my house, so I started going again right after we came back. I love going there because it feels really cozy inside, and it always smells good, like coffee.”

For current students who need a place to hang out, Java immediately comes to mind, especially for West Trojans. For freshman Lily Polgreen ’27, Java is her first pick when deciding where to hang out with friends. 

“I really enjoy going there to study with friends. I go two or three times per week,” Polgreen said. 

Polgreen has been going with her mom for years, making this coffee shop a special place filled with many fond memories for her and her family. 

“One time, I went to [Java] and my mom was quizzing me on science flashcards. Then someone came up to us and said ‘I’m a science teacher, I think you’ll ace this test,’” Polgreen said. 

Not only is Java great for studying, but its environment is very welcoming and comforting for Genna Ray ’25. 

“There’s a certain level of quaintness to it that I love. It’s a place I can go and relax after school to lock in and get some work done.” Ray said. “I go to Java House way more than I care to admit, I’ve been going there since my freshman year. Most of the time, it’s so I can get work done, or for the social aspect of it.” 

There’s a certain level of quaintness to it that I love. It’s a place I can go and relax after school to lock in and get some work done.

— Ray

Convenience is key for many people, which is why Java’s distance from West is extremely helpful for West students and staff. 

“Java being close to West is super convenient. It’s just a whole 3 minute drive away. I wish it wasn’t as close sometimes because that has really impacted my bank account, but it is what it is.” Ray said. 

Due to being so close to West, Java changes many daily routines in the West community. 

“[If Java wasn’t so close to West], I would probably bring my own coffee. I go there to get out of the office for a new environment for a little bit. I love the smell, the dim colors and it’s just got a nice ambiance.” McConnell said. 

[If Java wasn’t so close to West], I would probably bring my own coffee. I go there to get out of the office for a new environment for a little bit. I love the smell, the dim colors and it’s just got a nice ambience.

— McConnell

Overall, Java House holds a special place in many West hearts. Home to many memories for many people, it is a place for coffee, hangouts and study time. It is and has been a staple place for so many people during and after their high school careers.