ICCSD to move fully online starting Nov. 16

Due to the uptick in COVID-19 cases and the county seven-day average exceeding a 15 percent positivity rate, ICCSD has voted to continue learning in a fully online model starting Nov. 16.

Alyssa Skala, Yearbook Managing Editor

Superintendent Matt Degner along with several other administrative members from schools across the district attended the school board meeting Nov. 10 to update the board, parents, students and staff on the return-to-learn program. After hours of discussion, presentations, and questions, the board voted to start the 100% online learning model across all ICCSD schools on Nov. 16.

The decision to wait until the end of the week is primarily to give parents a heads-up to make adjustments in child care if needed, as well as to give teachers more prep time to make sure students are still learning while being fully online.

“It’s not where people want to be, and it’s not where we want to be, and Iowa City has sometimes been seen as an outlier here in our approach to this,” said ICCSD Interim Superintendent Matt Degner. “This is a significant problem in the state of Iowa, and it’s not just an Iowa City issue.”

This is a significant problem in the state of Iowa, and it’s not just an Iowa City issue.

— Interim Superintendent Matt Degner

Additional information will be shared in coming days regarding the Grab-and-Go meal distribution, and general health and safety protocols for students and staff. To get updated information directly on your mobile phone, download the district’s app on the app store or Google play store.