Helen Orszula
Helen Orszula
Artist, Designer

(she/they) Helen is a senior at West and this is her second year on staff. She is a designer and artist for WSS print. In her free time, she likes to read, mess around on Illustrator, and do crosswords.

West High boys swimming wins state

By Lydia Hinman

Photo by Megumi Kitamoto

The West High Boys swim team won the State meet Saturday with 205 points. Cedar Rapids Washington finished second by 69 points. This is the first ever championship for the boys swim team and first finish over 4th place.

The Trojans got 1st place in 7 out of the 11 events. West also placed 1st in all three relay events.

The 200 medley relay of Mark McGlaughlin ’16, Matt Anderson ’15, Carson Miller ’14, and Oliver Martin ’17 won with a time of 1:35.94. The 200 freestyle relay of Martin, Will Scott ’16, Miller, and Aidan Keen ’16 finished first with a time of 1:25.46. The 400 freestyle relay of Keen, Scott, Anderson, and McGlaughlin finished with a time of 3:08.43.

West took home first in four individual events. McGlaughlin was first in the 50 freestyle with a time of 20.67 and won the 100 freestyle with at time of 45 seconds. Keen won the 200 freestyle and 500 freestyle with times of 1:40.91 and 4:37.48, respectively.

West also had several top 10 finishes. Martin got third in the 100 butterfly with a time of 51.85. Martin also placed 4th in the 50 Freestyle behind teammate McGlaughlin with a time of 21.62. Scott placed 7th in the 100 Freestyle, also behind first place finisher McGlaughlin, with a time 48.09. Anderson was 7th in the 100 breastroke, West’s highest finisher, with a time of 59.93.

Photo taken at previous meet.

$1400
$1000

$1400
$1000

West High boys swimming wins state