The girls swimming and diving team pose for a photo.
Courtesy of Iowa City West girls swim team

Girls swimming and diving team win regionals

The Trojan Bolt swim and dive team won regionals on Nov. 4.

After another undefeated dual meet season, the Trojan Bolts continue their streak by securing a victory at regionals. Girls diving was held on Nov. 2, and girls swimming on Nov. 4 at the Dubuque Community School District Aquatic Center. 

At the regional dive meet on Thursday, Kamila Swanson ’26 placed second, qualifying for state, alongside Aimee Varge ’24 and Rowan Russell ’26. 

To start off the swim meet on Nov. 4, in the 100-yard freestyle Averie Bilskemper ’25 places first, qualifying for state. Next in the 200-yard freestyle, Hannah Geng ’27 was champion, and the runner-up was Kolby Reese ’24. Gretchen Gerke ’26 places fourth, all qualifying for state. 

After a great start, in the 500-yard freestyle, Reese comes in first place with Gerke right behind her. Mingmeir Lumetta ’27 places seventh as well, qualifying for state. 

In the para division, Hannah Longmire ’26 qualifies for state with an exceptional performance. Coming in first for the 100-yard freestyle, and champion in the 50-yard freestyle.

Geng places first in the 100-yard butterfly, and Karen Liu ’24 comes in second. In the 100-yard backstroke, Carlee Wilkins ’24 places second. Averie Bilkskemper ’25 comes in third place in the 100-yard breaststroke. 

In the 200-yard medley relay, the Trojan Bolts are the champions with Wilkins, Bilskemper, Liu and Isabella Friessen ’25 on the team. For the 200-yard individual medley, Karen Liu ’24 placed second, qualifying for state. Lastly, in the 200-yard freestyle relay, the Trojan Bolts came in first place with a time of 1:39.67.

To finish off the meet, the 400-yard freestyle relay team with Reese, Friessen, Bilskemper and Geng came in first with a time of 3:36.72. 

Overall, the Trojan Bolts won with a total of 455 points, beating second-place Bettendorf (342) and third-place Cedar Rapids Kennedy (294). 

Special congrats to Hannah Geng for being named Regional Athlete of the Year, as well as head coach Sam Galvin and staff for being named Regional Coaching Staff of the Year.

The team will be heading to the state championships to compete next weekend on Nov. 11-12 in Marshalltown, IA. The list of qualifiers can be found here.