• Walk it out- Saturday in Auditorium
  • Girls soccer vs. Wash- Tuesday @home
  • Drake Relays this weekend- Drake Stadium
  • Class president elections later this week
  • Choir trip to Chicago- Thursday-Saturday

Marie Stier
Marie Stier
Print Features Editor

(she/her) Marie Stier is a Junior at West High and she is excited for her second year on staff. She is the Feature Editor for WSS. In her free time, you can find her hammocking, doing puzzles on her porch...

Grapevine back in production

Grapevine begins producing another issue of the literary magazine after a year away.
Grapevine+last+published+a+magazine+in+2022+with+the+35th+volume.+
Zaira Ahmad
Grapevine last published a magazine in 2022 with the 35th volume.

After a year without production, the Grapevine has begun producing the 36th volume of the literary magazine. Following the 2021-22 school year, Grapevine entered a $600 debt after the magazine failed to receive a donation. As a result, Grapevine did not print during the 2022-23 school year despite collecting submissions. 

This year, Grapevine has taken proactive steps to make sure they have sufficient funds to print the magazine. Staff members have collected ads and donations to ensure the magazine is printed. In addition to ads, Grapevine Advisor Darien Robins hopes to get a donation from West. 

I think it can be really important for young writers and artists to see their work in print. It can push them to continue to create.

— Vera Tanas

The Grapevine will begin printing at the beginning of May and staff members hope to distribute the magazine before seniors’ last day, May 30. Staff member Vera Tanas ’25 believes it is important to print the magazine and get student work in people’s hands. 

“I think it can be really important for young writers and artists to see their work in print,” Tanas said. “It can push them to continue to create.”

Despite troubles in the previous year, staff members are determined to print this year and help artists at West share their work with the community. 

While you wait for the next issue of Grapevine, check out past issues here.