• No school Friday-teacher make-up day
  • ISASPS Tuesday and Wednesday
  • Girls soccer vs. Jefferson @home-Tuesday (postponed due to weather)
  • Walk it out next Saturday-North band room

Jessie Li
Jessie Li
Print Assistant Copy Editor

(she/her) Jessie Li is a junior at West High. This is her second year on staff, and she is the Assistant Copy Editor of the West Side Story news magazine. Outside of the newsroom, you can probably find...

Black History Month: Mahalia Jackson

Black+History+Month%3A+Mahalia+Jackson+
WSSStaff3

By Lucy Blair

Mahalia Jackson, the song bird from God. The Queen of Gospel, the background to the civil rights movement in America. Perhaps even the first successful African American gospel singer. Jackson struggled throughout her life with meager education, living in a small house with 13 other people. Due to the fact of the lack of money for education, she left school in the 4th grade.  When her mother died, she was raised by her aunt Duke. The early influences in her life were the blues in New Orleans, the hot beats, the banana streamers. Oh and of course were the gospel in her local churches. Soon, she was singing on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays and four times on Sunday. Surrounded by many other people, her voice was heard around the block. Into her teens and twenties, she hit international fame with a song “Move On Up a Little Higher.”

She was involved in the Civil Rights Movement,  singing at the March on Washington. By request of a personal friend, Dr. Rev Martin Luther King Jr. Then she later sang at his funeral.

All images used legally by/from AP images.

$1400
$1000

$1400
$1000

Black History Month: Mahalia Jackson