Ashlyn Brady 25
Ashlyn Brady
Features Editor

(she/her) Ashlyn is a junior and this is her second year on staff. She is the Feature Editor for the website this year. When she's not in the newsroom, you can find her curled up with a good book, hanging...

Thomas commits to Iowa

Jacintha Thomas, West High senior, is one of the most accomplished divers in Iowa High School History. Thomas decided earlier this week to commit to the University of Iowa.
Thomas has broken multiple records, including some of her own records. Thomas placed second at state in 2013, and recorded the highest total score in State Diving history (561.10) and beat the previous record by over 25 points (535.70).

Besides her accomplishments in the pool she also has had a very accomplished career in the classroom. Thomas earned All-Academic Honors for the state and the conference. The combination of these two skills enabled Thomas to have multiple options for college. Thomas looked into Iowa State, Stanford, and Richmond, but decided to choose Iowa. “I decided on Iowa because I really liked the coach and the team and we all got along well.”

“When I went up on my recruiting trip, they [the coach and the team] were all very welcoming and are like a family.” Thomas said.

Although athletics are a big part of Thomas’ college future, she still wants to focus on her studies. “Iowa has a good pre-med program that will prepare me for medical school.”

The location was also a factor in Thomas’ decision. “It’s close to home so my parents can come to meets and watch me grow as a college athlete.”

$1400
$1000

Aaron Carter
Aaron Carter, Writer and Sports Editor
Aaron is a senior at West High School. He has been on the West Side Story staff for three years now, all as sports editor. After playing basketball and baseball early in his high school career, he decided he was better at covering the events than actually playing in them so he shifted towards journalism. He now wants to do a dual major in journalism and economics at the University of Missouri, which has a top five journalism school in the nation. He hopes to someday work for ESPN or some other major sports communications company.
$1400
$1000

Thomas commits to Iowa