• Baseball plays Linn-Mar at Oak Ridge Middle School on June 29.

Fashion Friday: Emily Buck ’19

Sporting clothing anywhere from Soho to Stuff, junior Emily Buck gives her take on how mixing reused items with trendy, modern clothing results in her unique clothing style.

Anjali Huynh, Reporter

Emily Buck '19 mixes new clothing with old, as she sports a black Old Navy shirt and a London skirt, paired with her dad's old belt.

As the weather gets colder, many are beginning to venture to local stores to find new apparel to wear. However, it is possible to shop without emptying your wallet. Emily Buck ’19 shares how she has been able to create her own unique style while still being price sensitive.

WSS: How would you describe your style?

Buck: My style is kind of a weird combination between comfortable things, retro yet classy vibes and also modern funky styles. Honestly sometimes it doesn’t work but I like to focus on when it does.

Sometimes it doesn’t work but I like to focus on when it does.”

— Emily Buck

WSS: Where do you generally get your clothing?

Buck: It’s kind of a weird mix. My red skirt, I got in Soho, but the dress I got for $5 at Stuff. It’s really just a balance between cuteness and cheapness, and every once and a while, I’ll splurge on something nice and expensive. To be honest, reusing things are the way to go.

WSS: What do you mean by “reusing” things?

Buck: What I like to do is take my family’s old clothes they don’t use. I wear my dad’s old sweaters and jean shirts, I share shirts with my mom, and I have my brother’s old vans. It is so awesome because I don’t have to pay for it, and the clothes that would’ve gotten thrown out have a new life. Also, going to Stuff and other second-hand stores is amazing because you find all sorts of quirky, fun accessories at affordable prices.

Going to Stuff and other second-hand stores is amazing because you find all sorts of quirky, fun accessories at affordable prices.”

— Emily Buck

WSS: Is there anyone or anything in particular that has influenced your clothing taste?

Buck: K-pop has been influential. In that industry, everything is so bold and unapologetic and I admire how they take risks and how it pays off. Plus, the quirkiness is endearing and awesome.

WSS: What would you say your favorite clothing item is?

Buck: My favorite accessories are shoes. Don’t ask me to pick a favorite pair but a good pair of shoes … [it] can take a look from okay to kickass.

WSS: Do you have any advice for people who would like to try your “reuse” method?

Buck: Search for those sales. The clearance rack is a pain to sort through, but you can find some great things there. Also, where you shop doesn’t matter because fashion is all about combining. Take all the best deals from different places.

Where you shop doesn’t matter because fashion is all about combining. Take all the best deals from different places”

— Emily Buck

WSS: What would you say to people who would like to explore more unique, less mainstream clothing styles?

Buck: Don’t look at everyone else, and dress how you want to be. Don’t formulate outfits from one source – pick a bunch of people you admire, and take one or two accessories or clothing articles you like and then combine it. It’s like a puzzle with a lot of different answers.

For more Fashion Friday’s click HERE.

About the Contributor
Anjali Huynh, Reporter
Anjali Huynh is a junior in her second year as a reporter on West Side Story. When she’s not writing, you can find her in the band, taking photos, or finding ways to steal food from friends.