ICCSD releases plan for making up missed school time

This districtwide procedure includes extending school days through the rest of the year and adding a half day to the district calendar, among other components.

Anjali Huynh, Print Managing Editor, Co-Copy Editor

ICCSD Superintendent Steve Murley announced a districtwide plan for making up missed school time due to inclement weather on Friday, Feb. 8.

The ICCSD currently operates under a calendar that meets the state-mandated 1080 hours of instructional time. While the 2018-19 calendar originally had 1129 hours, missed teaching time caused the district to fall under this requirement if the calendar remained the same.

In an email to parents, Murley said, “We have evaluated our options and have come up with a solution that should be least disruptive to family schedules while still allowing for us to recapture that important instructional time with students.”

Resultantly, several changes were made to the district schedule.

Starting on Monday, Feb. 18 and continuing through the end of the school year, 10 minutes will be added to the school day. The elementary schedule will run 7:55 a.m. to 3:05 p.m. every day except Thursday, which will last until 2:05 p.m. Meanwhile, junior high and high schools will operate 8:45 a.m. to 4:05 p.m. other than Thursdays, which will run until 3:05 p.m. In short, this plan adds five minutes to the beginning and another five to the end of current district school day schedules.

Students will attend school on Friday, April 26, which was previously a ‘“No School” day.

The district will also add a half day of school at the end of the current calendar year on Friday, May 31. On this day, elementary students will release at 10:55 a.m., while junior high and high school students will end at noon. This will not apply for seniors, who will still end on May 23 as expected.

In order to balance the number of days per trimester, the end of second trimester will move from Wednesday, Feb. 27 to Friday, March 1. This also moves the scheduled “No School/Parent Teacher Conference” day to Monday, March 4. The West finals schedule will shift two days later than the current plan to reflect this change.