Cadenza to hold second virtual concert

Cadenza will hold its second virtual concert from Feb. 1 to Feb. 5 on the club’s YouTube channel.

Hanah Kitamoto, Print Co-Editor-In-Chief

Cadenza, the classical music charity club at West, will hold its second virtual concert via YouTube from Feb. 1. to Feb. 5. The club has been planning for the virtual concert since the beginning of November in collaboration with West High UNICEF Club and UNICEF Iowa. 

Co-founder Jonathan Chen ’22 values the importance of creating music and hopes to do it with a good cause by fundraising for UNICEF USA’s COVID relief program.

“As with all of our performances, we want to raise funds for an important cause … and give our members a chance to create concrete and observable change with their musical skills,” Chen said. “In the current pandemic, however, we also have to show our audiences that despite social distancing in our homes, musicians can still virtually produce music together.”

Bivan Shrestha ’22, the other co-founder of Cadenza, hopes to bring music to the community even during a time of isolation. 

“I’m really excited to show that even with the pandemic, we can still produce all sorts of music,” Shrestha said. “Even though things may not be ideal or as exciting as an in-person concert might be, the very fact that we are still doing this is a testament to the passion our school has about music, and what I want to do is to share that passion.”

Videos of club members’ performances will be uploaded daily on YouTube from Feb. 1 to Feb. 5. Students can contact the club via Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or email [email protected] or UNICEF Iowa [email protected] with any questions.