• Seniors vote on faculty speaker later this week
  • Boys soccer tournament- March 29th-30th @West
  • Women of Troy relays- March 26th home@4:30
  • Chamber ensemble concert- March 28th- Band room@7:00
  • Senior poets: send poems to Mr. Robins
  • College fair Wednesday in Cafeteria
  • Girls soccer vs. North Scott- Tuesday JV@5:30 V@7:00

Henry Timmer-Hackert
Henry Timmer-Hackert
Print Assistant Opinion Editor

(He/him) Henry is a sophomore at West High and ready for his first year on staff. He's the assistant opinion editor for the paper. Outside of West Side Story Henry runs with the cross country and track...

NSPA names West Side Story Newspaper Pacemaker finalist

Photo caption: The 2011-2012 West Side Story covers.

NSPA names 3 high school newspapers in the state Pacemaker finalists

The National Scholastic Press Association (NSPA) named the West Side Story a Newspaper Pacemaker finalist today. The West Side Story is one of three Iowa high school publications selected as Pacemaker finalists for 2011-2012. Iowa City West High’s West Side Story and Cedar Rapids Kennedy’s Torch are two of nine finalists nationwide in the newsmagazine category, and Iowa City High’s Little Hawk is one of nine finalists nationwide in the broadsheet 17+ pages category.

The NSPA Newspaper Pacemaker contest has awarded general excellence in collegiate newspapers for 85 years. Pacemakers are holistic awards that assess a year’s worth of a newspaper’s publications on coverage and content, quality of writing and reporting, leadership on the opinion page, evidence of in-depth reporting, layout and design, photography, art and graphics.

The West Side Story won a Newspaper and Online Pacemaker last year and was previously a finalist for the Newspaper Pacemaker in 2007 and 2005.

Eleanor Marshall ’12 was the West Side Story editor-in-chief and Sara Whittaker is the adviser.

Riley Galbraith and Rachel Gilman were the Torch editors and Stacy Haynes-Moore is the adviser.

Max Friedman and Renata Stewart were The Little Hawk editors and Jonathan Rogers is the adviser.

The West Side Story and The Little Hawk were also recognized in NSPA’s Design of the Year contest. The April 2012 West Side Story cover design “Coming Out” by Anna Egeland ’12 and Shamis McGillin ’12, is one of four finalists in the newsmagazine cover design contest. The Little Hawk staff received honorable mention in the newspaper page/spread contest.

NSPA will announce the winners at its national journalism conference in San Antonio, Texas on Nov.18.

For more information:

http://studentpress.org/nspa/winners/npm12.html

View Comments (1)
$1385
$1000

$1385
$1000

Comments are Closed.