• Seniors vote on faculty speaker later this week
  • Boys soccer tournament- March 29th-30th @West
  • Women of Troy relays- March 26th home@4:30
  • Chamber ensemble concert- March 28th- Band room@7:00
  • Senior poets: send poems to Mr. Robins
  • College fair Wednesday in Cafeteria
  • Girls soccer vs. North Scott- Tuesday JV@5:30 V@7:00

Callie
Callie Gao
Yearbook Designer, Photographer

(she/her) Callie Gao is a sophomore at West and this is her first year on the yearbook staff as a designer and photographer. She enjoys reading memoirs, taking photos of her cat and eating poutine. Her...

West High participates in All-State Music Festival

This weekend, more than sixty West High musicians participated in the All-State Iowa Music Festival in Ames.  The All-State band featured conductor Dr. Myron Welch, a retired Director of Bands at the University of Iowa.  His energy and humor translated throughout the band.  At one point, Welch was so impressed with the euphonium section that he said, “I want to take the euphonium section home with me and sell them on the street.”  The All-State chorus featured director Dr. Craig Arnold who is currently the Artistic Director and Chairman of the Manhattan Concert Productions in New York City.  Arnold’s passion for music showed in his dramatic conducting.  The All-State orchestra featured Dr. Henry E. Duitman, the Director of Orchestral Activities at Grand Valley State University.
The festival was not only filled with music.  Students also learned other life lessons during the trip.  “Never get shrimp linguine from Red Lobsters, unless you want intense stomach ache.  The conductor surprisingly looked the same as the picture in the handout,” said clarinetist Tong Yu ‘13.
Aside from countless hours of rehearsal and minutes walking in the cold, students found the festival very inspiring.  “It was a great experience and it really expanded my horizons as a musician,” said baritone saxophonist Davy Perlman ‘12.
View Comments (18)
$1385
$1000

$1385
$1000