A new face for Boy’s Cross Country

“West Side Story” gets to know the new boy’s head cross country coach Josh Kidman.

Carmela Cohen Suarez, Entertainment Editor

West High’s new head cross country coach shares how he became involved with West athletics and his plans for this season.

West High boy’s new head cross country coach Josh Kidman may be new to the position, but he is certainly not new to the running scene. As someone who ran cross country and track and field along with coaching track, Kidman feels as if he can relate with the student athletes he coaches.

“Coaches made a huge difference in my life when I was in high school and that kind of inspired me a little bit to be working in a school and [as] a coach,” said Kidman. “Definitely having cross country experience as a runner helps you coach it, you’re kind of a little bit more invested and you know what the kids are going through so I think that means a lot to them to know that you’ve done the same things.”

The athletes also think that having Kidman as a track coach and cross country coach helps consolidate a better athlete to coach relationship. “[Kidman] has been there pretty much every step of the way,” said Kolby Greiner ’19

As it is still early on in the season, Kidman has not made any long term implementations to the team’s atmosphere and workouts. But, Kidman has plenty of ideas for the future of the team and has already begun to incorporate some of them.  “We’re a little bit more relaxed, I want the kids to take a little more ownership […] So a little less structure on my end,” said Kidman.

Athletes note a change in team atmosphere, “He’s just created a kind of really big family atmosphere this year,” said  Greiner.