Trojan Bolts fly past Golden Eagles in home swim meet

The West and Liberty swim team defeated Dubuque Wahlert Catholic High School 132-53 in a dual meet at the Coralville Recreation Center on Sept. 17.

Sara Baroncini

Aurora Roghair ’21 competes in a relay during the girls home sweet meet at the Coralville Recreation Center on Sept. 17. Roghair is working on developing her leadership skills as she heads into her senior season.

Joe Goodman, Sports Editor

Head girls swim coach Byron Butler has managed to merge two schools into one of the most successful swimming programs in the state this fall.

The Trojan Bolts feature a mix of athletes from both West and Liberty High School. Even their logo, a green ‘W’ with a lightning bolt through it, displays a sense of comradery and cohesiveness amongst the swimmers.

The conjoined team defeated Dubuque Wahlert Catholic High School 132-53 in a dual meet on Sept. 18 behind impressive times from Aurora Roghair ’21 and Scarlet Martin ’22.

The team swept all three relays behind strong anchor legs from Martin in the 200 freestyle relay and Roghair in the 200 medley relay and 400 freestyle relay.

Aurora won the 200 freestyle in a time of one minute, 52.2 seconds and the 500 freestyle in a time of 4:59.06, a season’s best and the current fastest time in the state. Aurora’s younger sister Jade Roghair ’23 also had a strong performance, taking fourth in the 50 freestyle and second in the 100 freestyle.

Martin captured two state-leading times in the 200 individual medley (2:05.81) and the 100 butterfly (54.86).

Ella Hochstetler ’22 had a very busy night, swimming the first leg of the winning 200 medley and 200 freestyle relays in addition to winning the 50 free in a time of 24.93. Lily Ernst ’20 was also a part of two winning relays while placing third in the 100 breaststroke (1:13.25) and second in the 100 butterfly (58.98).

Other event winners included Olivia Taeger ’22 in the 100 freestyle (54.97) and Jenny Geng ’21 in the 100 breaststroke (1:10.28). Austyn Goodale ’20 won the diving competition with a score of 211.65.

Check out the gallery below for photos from last night’s meet.