ICCSD votes to drop ‘interim’ tag from Superintendent Degner’s title

The ICCSD Board of Directors voted unanimously to make the role of superintendent permanent for Matt Degner.

Maggie Huang, Online News Editor

The ICCSD Board of Directors has voted to remove the “interim” tag from Interim Superintendent Matt Degner’s title. Degner has served as the interim superintendent for the district since July 1, 2020, following the resignation of former Superintendent Stephen Murley. Degner’s contract will extend through June 30, 2024.

“I am honored to be named the Superintendent of the Iowa City Community School District,” said Degner. “While we have undoubtedly had one challenging year, I am very optimistic for our future. We are committed to having a district that works for all students and have many exciting opportunities on the horizon. I would like to thank the incredible team and staff in the district for their hard work and dedication each and every day.”

Matt Degner has been with the Iowa City Community School District for the last eight years, serving as an assistant superintendent, director of schools, and principal of South East Junior High.

Shawn Eyestone, ICCSD board president, praises Degner for his commitment to equity work in the district.

“As we have made strides in that area, this priority has been challenged more than once. Each time, Matt has responded consistently and firmly that equity isn’t a choice. It is who we are as a district. That commitment is a large factor in the decision the board made today.”