Boys soccer qualifies for state with win over Bettendorf

West High boys soccer secures their spot in the state tournament by crushing Bettendorf 3-0 on May 26.

The+boys+soccer+team+poses+for+a+picture+after+qualifying+for+the+state+tournament+on+May+26.+

Alyssa Skala

The boys soccer team poses for a picture after qualifying for the state tournament on May 26.

Camille Gretter, Online Editor-In-Chief

After a year away due to COVID-19, the boys soccer team has qualified for the state tournament for the fifth year in a row. The team secured their spot in a 3-0 win against Bettendorf in the Class 3A Substate 6 Championship.

The Trojans have gone 18-1 so far this season, ranking them second in Iowa. The team has seen a lot of talent this year, with high stats from Kolby Godbolt ’21 with 16 goals so far in the season, and sophomore Michael Nelson making his high school career debut with 10 goals so far.

Early on in the game Nelson started widening a gap, scoring a goal in the first half. Mukucha Omari ’22 brought the lead up with a goal of his own about 15 minutes into the second half. Two minutes later senior Brendan Klutts made his second goal of the season, bring the Trojans’ score up to 3-0. The score remained the same until the clock ran out.

The boys soccer team will be the number one seed and face off with the eight-seed Sioux City West on Tuesday, June 1 in the state quarterfinals at the James Cownie Soccer Complex in Des Moines at 5 pm.