West High students named winners of Iowa State Science Fair

All three West High students will be moving on to compete in the International Science Fair next month.

Carolyn Walling

Jonathan Fan ‘23, Jayden Shin ‘23, and Lilly Graham ‘24 won awards at the Iowa State Science Fair on March 24.

Three West High students won awards at the Iowa State Science Fair. Jayden Shin ’23 placed first in the biomedical category and received a $2,000 biotech scholarship and a $500 Iowa State scholarship. Jonathan Fan ’23 placed 2nd in the computer science category. Lilly Graham ’24 received 2nd place in the biomedical category and a $500 Iowa State scholarship and was the reserve champion of the fair.

Before the Iowa State Science Fair, four students received awards at the Eastern Iowa Regional Science and Engineering Fair EISEF. In this competition, Graham was awarded EISEF honorable mention for her research on whether personal music players could cause implications with noise-related hearing loss. Fan was awarded the Yale Science and Engineering Association Award for his research on how physicians recognize symptoms. Michale Lee ’24 was awarded the Inspiring Excellence: Alan B. Adams Meritorious Achievement Award for his research on the similarity between the susceptibility of COVID-19 and the flu. Shin was awarded the Vaske Outstanding Exhibit Award and the EISEF Class 1 Senior Award for his research on immunostimulants. 

After their performance at the Iowa State Science Fair, Shin, Fan and Graham have been invited to compete at the International Science and Engineering Fair, which will occur on May 7. Here, they will compete against students from all over America as well as over 50 different countries.