WSS named 2022 All-Iowa News Team of the Year

IHSPA names 2022 Trojan Epic second place Yearbook of the Year

The 2022-2023 Trojan Epic and West Side Story staff members at the Iowa High School Press Association’s state journalism conference at The University of Iowa on Oct. 20.

Staff

The Iowa High School Press Association recognized both the Trojan Epic yearbook and West Side Story at its state journalism conference Oct. 20. The West Side Story staff was named a 2022 All-Iowa News Team of the Year, and the 2022 Trojan Epic was named second place Yearbook of the Year.

IHSPA judges selected the Yearbook and News Teams of the Year from a field of finalist schools, determined from the schools with the highest number of points accumulated during IHSPA’s various journalism contests.

In 2017, IHSPA introduced the All-Iowa awards, and West has been recognized every year since. The Trojan Epic staff was also recognized with these awards from the 2022 yearbook:

• 1st place Design: Mugs: Melissa Uc ’23
  • 2nd place Cover: Cameron Reimers ’22
  • 2nd place Design: Opening, Closing or Division: Clay Bopp ’22
  • 2nd place Design: Summer to December Events: Clay Bopp ’22
  • 2nd place Feature Photo: Student Life, Outside-of-School Related: Sachiko Goto ’23
  • 2nd place Reader Services: Kiley Butcher ’22, Zohrae McLaskey ’22, Willow Oleson ’23, Cameron Reimers ’22 and Rachel Swack ’23
  • 2nd place Sports Feature Photo/Caption: Ceci De Young ’24
  • 2nd place Theme: Clay Bopp ’22, Kiley Butcher ’22 and Cameron Reimers ’22
  • 3rd place Design: Mugs: Melissa Uc ’23
  • 3rd place Infograph/Mod: Wesal Haroun ’24, Akshethaa Naveen-Kumar ’24 and Maddie Otis ’24
  • 3rd place Photo Illustration: Cameron Reimers ’22
  • 3rd place Sports Action Photo: Clay Bopp ’22
  • 3rd place Sports Feature Photo/Caption: Owen Aanestad ’22
  • 3rd place Story: Student life, Outside-of-School Related: Gianna Liu ’25 and Anna Song ’25