Model UN to hold annual conference

Students will discuss topics including war, election integrity and rights of journalists.

Isabella Tisdale

Model UN is a club at West High that explores the world of global communications.

Lee Corlette, Podcaster

Model UN will hold its annual conference at the University of Northern Iowa Campus in Cedar Falls March 30-31. Club members from across multiple schools from the state of Iowa will be representing different countries across the world and come together to talk about various current issues affecting their chosen country and how they’re affecting the world today. 

The main goal of the club’s annual conference is to debate these issues and attempt to find solutions for them while making sure all of the countries don’t get negatively affected by these proposed resolutions. 

“You go to a conference with pre-researched ideas and stuff. And you propose ideas or changes that the UN could make in world affairs,” said Thomas Gibson ’24. 

There are various topics in this upcoming conference. 

“Resolutions to things like the conflict between China and Taiwan … debating unmanned remote weaponry … election integrity and stability,” said Holly Robinson, social studies teacher.

Students are also put into various committees to discuss solutions to certain, assigned issues, with each country having delegates in each topic’s committee. Owen Knight ’25 and Jinann Abudagga ’25 are in one such committee. 

“So, my and Jinann’s topic is global pandemics, protection of journalists and press right in the Philippines,” Knight said.

It will be interesting to see what agreements the students come to as they grow into more responsible delegates for their countries.