Corporate conundrum

The local business model for bookstores has become so popular that even big chains like Barnes & Noble are switching. Here’s a list of some real local bookstores in Iowa City.

Prairie+Lights+has+a+wide+selection+of+fiction.+

Eleanor

Prairie Lights has a wide selection of fiction.

Eleanor Weitz and Ashlyn Brady

The rise of Amazon and other online shopping platforms has put many companies in jeopardy of going out of business. The ease of clicking a few buttons and virtually ordering any product, all from your couch, has taken over in-person shopping, especially when it comes to bookstores. Even large chains like the well-known Barnes & Noble have been affected. 

In response to the lack of business, Barnes & Noble has decided to change their business model to create a more local and homey atmosphere, similar to that of a local bookstore. The switch from its formally cohesive, corporate atmosphere is a big change, with many wondering if they’ll be able to mimic the atmosphere of local bookstores. Whether your book shopping is solely based on experience or you just want to grab a stack of the most popular books, consider taking a trip and supporting Iowa City’s local bookstores, ones that have inspired Barnes & Noble’s dramatic change. 

Prairie Lights: 

Prairie Lights is located in the heart of downtown Iowa City. They have a wide selection of books, from fantasy to textbooks to a section of books written by and about Iowans. They also have a cafe on the top floor where you can stop and buy a quick drink or pastry. The store is owned by Jan Weissmiller, who has worked there since the year it opened. Prairie Lights prides itself on its esteemed literary reputation and the many award-winning authors who do readings there.

“We are extremely lucky to be in the home of the writer’s workshop here in Iowa City,” says Weissmiller. With Iowa City’s special connection to the literary world, many famous authors have been through the University of Iowa’s creative writing program, including people with names as big as Kurt Vonnegut and Michelle Zauner. Prairie Lights’ affiliation with the university and the Iowa City community allows them to forge close connections with the talented writers who go through the workshop. “We’re connected because we’ve been here for 45 years and there are 40 year-olds who remember their first experience reading at Prairie Lights,” Weissmiller says. The small and local business model of Prairie Lights has led it to great success in the UNESCO City of Literature, Iowa City. 

Haunted Bookshop: 

The Haunted Bookshop is a second-hand bookstore in downtown Iowa City. Currently, they are open for browsing by appointment only, and they also offer curbside pickup for books, games, and movies selected from their online catalog. In the past, The Haunted Bookshop has also featured fun performances and cute cats running around. One of the best parts of this shop is their funky and cool atmosphere. Hopefully, they will be open for walk-ins again soon. 

Sidekick Coffee/Bookstore: 

Sidekick Coffee and Books is located in University Heights and is a bookstore, cafe and ice cream shop all in one. Initially a bookstore for kids, demand for adult books expanded the collection. With both kid and adult books, owner Katy Herbold explains that Sidekick is a welcoming place for everyone. 

“Sidekick, it’s book magic. I want kids to come here and sit in those hexagon cubbies and feel like they can just dive in for hours with a book. I want adults to feel cozy and warm on those cold days, and maybe they don’t want to work in the office so they come here and get a hot cup of coffee and a good book. It’s just kind of like a community hub.”

To create a diverse set of books similar to that of the Iowa City community, Herbold selects every book in her store. This process involves going through catalogs from numerous publishers three to four times a year. Readers can stop in and check out her new selections while also grabbing a coffee or some ice cream from local spots, including Heyn’s Ice Cream and Kalona Creamery. 

Iowa Book: 

Iowa Book, located close to the Old Capitol, is a place where students can get everything they need for the upcoming year. On the main floor, students can stock up on their favorite Hawkeye gear while stopping for some snacks on the way out. Interspersed throughout are tables set up filled with books that fit a specific theme, including popular BookTok books. Downstairs is where the majority of their books are stored, with a large variety of fiction, nonfiction, and even some young adult books. Students can also grab some writing supplies downstairs while shopping for their books. In addition to their selection of novels, Iowa Book also has textbooks for purchase and rent, helping students gather their required materials. 

Iowa Book has served the Iowa City community for over a century, with local ownership until 2021, when it began a partnership with Barnes & Noble College. An article by the Daily Iowan reports that customers should not notice that much of a difference when they enter the store.