Sidney
Sidney Tranel
Yearbook Staff

(she/her) Sidney Tranel is a junior at West and this is her second year on staff. Outside of school she works at Monica's, loves spending time with her friends and playing the violin.

Unidos: Latinx student union

Unidos is a place for Latinx students to feel welcomed and be involved in the community.
Unidos+translated+in+English+to+united+
Yeju Seol
Unidos translated in English to “united”

Meeting every Friday AFT in room 235, Unidos’s goal is to provide a place for Latinx students to hang out and form bonds with each other.

“I know lots of Latinx students that share common interests and want to get to know each other [and] do things for the Latinx community,” said Lucas Correa Leibfried’26, one of the co-presidents for Unidos this year.

Unidos is not only a place to hang out. It is also where members can participate in projects.

“It’s also a space for people who want to be more involved can do projects and try to improve conditions for Latinos in Iowa and that’s just kind of the whole focus of the club.” said Leibfried.

Last year, members were able to sign up to help tutor the ELL students.

Other than projects, members can also participate in field trips. More recently, Unidos took a field trip to the University of Iowa for the Latinx Youth Summit. The Latinx Youth Summit’s primary purpose is to get Latinx to attend college. Leibfried had participated in the event.

“We were all in this room, and I remember there [were] people talking about their stories being a Latino in the U.S.,” said Leibfried.

After the speeches, they would go around to different classrooms. Professors would then talk about prepping for college.

This year, the sponsor for Unidos has changed to Victor Diaz Galindo. Their first meeting was on Oct. 6. They are still planning many things for the club, such as planning activities and volunteering work. Unidos is hoping to get more Latinx students to join the club.

For further information, contact Victor Diaz Galindo in room 235.