• Walk it out- Saturday in Auditorium
  • Girls soccer vs. Wash- Tuesday @home
  • Drake Relays this weekend- Drake Stadium
  • Class president elections later this week
  • Choir trip to Chicago- Thursday-Saturday

Henry Timmer-Hackert
Henry Timmer-Hackert
Print Assistant Opinion Editor

(He/him) Henry is a sophomore at West High and ready for his first year on staff. He's the assistant opinion editor for the paper. Outside of West Side Story Henry runs with the cross country and track...

Model United Nations at West

Although many people might know of Model United Nations, not many people know what it is or what the club does.
Defne Bayman
Model UN is West High’s club that emulates the United Nations to create and research solutions to problems.

Model United Nations, frequently referred to as Model UN, is West High’s long-time club that works to imitate global diplomacy and allow students to research and create solutions to global issues.

The structure of Model UN allows students to work in a very collaborative environment. Members are assigned a country or countries and research their viewpoints on specific issues. They are encouraged to collaborate with other members to create solutions. Members can also join different committees which focus on broad global issues.

Josie Schwartz ’25 is on the political security committee. “This year, our topics are cybersecurity and nuclear arsenals.”

Other topics of debate for Model UN include Artificial Intelligence and how the UN can regulate it, how the UN can assist with providing aid to Palestine, ensuring clean drinking water, preventing the development of biological weapons, securing legal recognition of climate refugees and securing a stable government in Afghanistan.

After the members and committees create ideas, they research and draft papers, which can be submitted for awards and scholarships.

Beyond West High, Model UN has the chance to connect with club members from all across the state of Iowa.

Every spring, Model UN holds a conference where they meet up with other Model UN delegates who represent different countries. For two days, they discuss and debate amendments and resolutions to world problems.

This year’s spring conference is April 4-5 in Cedar Falls, Iowa.

Despite all the support that Model UN receives from West and their teacher, Holly Robinson, the club is still facing a problem with the lack of current members. There are currently about 25 members in the club, but only 4 are non-juniors. Rebuilding the club has been a goal, as it lost support and members during Covid-19 and now has been struggling to come back to its former size.