West loses to Linn-Mar 28-12

The football team lost its second district game to Linn-Mar 28-12 despite a safety from the defense and a touchdown catch from Grahm Goering ’21.

Maddy Smith

Tate Crane ’20 lines up before the offense runs a play against Linn-Mar at the homecoming game at Trojan Field on Oct. 4.

Joe Goodman, Sports Editor

In the annual homecoming football game, the Trojans lost to the Linn-Mar Lions 28-12 behind a wily student section and amped up crowd. The team was rolling through the first half 12-7, but the offense stalled in the second half, failing to score in the final 24 minutes.

The football team got off to a strong start with a safety in the first quarter after Marcus Morgan ’21 pinned the Lions at their own one-yard line. Morgan followed up later in the quarter with a slant to Grahm Goering ’21 for a touchdown.

Linn-Mar responded with a touchdown over their own before the West offense drove inside the Lion red zone at the end of the first half. The Trojans would settle for a field goal, setting the score at 12-7.

The second half was all Linn-Mar as the Lions ran up 21 unanswered points to win the contest 28-12. The Linn-Mar defensive front caused problems for the Trojan offensive line all night.

Tyuss Bell ’21 was tremendous on the ground for the Trojans, cementing his status as the top running back for coach Hartwig’s squad. Goering left the game with a collarbone injury in the second quarter but returned to finish the game despite looking shaken up.

Tate Crane ’20 made a number of nice first down catches in the second half, juking defenders after securing possession. Anu Dokun ’20 was in on a multitude of tackles, including a nice tackle for loss on a sweep play on third down.

The team’s next game is against Davenport North on Oct. 11 at Trojan Field for Senior Night.