ICCSD to resume hybrid learning model Dec. 14

Although the online waiver was approved by the state, the District ultimately decided to reopen schools.

Kailey Gee, Print Co-Editor-In-Chief

The Iowa City Community School District announced that students in the hybrid learning model will return to school starting Monday, Dec. 14. Earlier this week, the school board stated that as long as COVID-19 positivity rates did not drastically increase, they planned to reopen schools. However, an online waiver was submitted to the state in the event case rates did go up.

Although the waiver was approved this afternoon, the district eventually decided to continue with the plan to reopen schools. This decision was made to avoid a late notice for change of plans as well as current positivity rates in the community, which have slightly decreased at 9% in the past seven days. The transition to the hybrid learning model will also resume the activity of winter sports.

“Keeping our students and staff safe will continue to be a collaborative effort.  Conducting daily health screenings with your children, keeping them home if they are sick, practicing effective hand washing, and learning how to properly wear a face covering are just a few ways in which families can help ensure a safe return to in-person learning.  We look forward to welcoming students back on-site next week,” said the district in an online statement announcing the decision.

Families have been instructed to keep an eye out in the next couple of days for any potential changes. If rates begin to rise again, the district may issue a return to a fully online model mid-week.