Girls track and field team returns after year off

After having their season canceled due to COVID-19 last year, Mike Parker’s girls track and field team hosted the Iowa City West Invitational on March 30 in one of their first outdoor competitions in a year.

Owen Aanestad

Ella Woods ’22 glides over the hurdle while competing in the 100-meter hurdles during the Iowa City West Invitational on March 30.

Owen Aanestad, Online Editor-In-Chief

The girls track and field team, who watched their season fall victim to the pandemic last year, finally had a chance to run, throw and jump once again at the Iowa City West Invitational this afternoon. Linn-Mar, Kennedy, Muscatine, Burlington, Prairie and Xavier all made the trip for one of the state’s first outdoor meets of the year.

Distance runner Maddy Negley ’21 opened up the meet for the Trojans with a third-place finish in the 3000 meter race. Not far behind her was fellow teammate and freshman Gabby Moniza who placed fifth.

The 4 by 800 meter team consisting of Annie Schwartz ’23, Sara Alaya ’22, Erica Buettner ’21 and Vicki Carrica ’23 also took home a third-place finish.

Ella Woods ’22 got the Trojans one of their only first-place finishes of the night in the 100 meter hurdles.

Senior thrower Phoebe Burt won both the shot put (37’8) and discus (126’9.5) with personal records in both.

The girls track and field team will make their next appearance this Saturday, April 3 at the J-Hawk Relays in Cedar Rapids at Kingston Stadium.