Gross picks up 300th career win over Cedar Rapids Washington

The boys tennis team faced off against Cedar Rapids Washington on April 14 with a thrilling matchup between Eli Young ’21 and Grayson Zylstra ’21.

Owen Aanestad, Online Editor-In-Chief

In his 20th year as West High head varsity tennis coach, Principal Mitch Gross has made a name for himself in the world of high school tennis. With eight team state championships, five singles state championships, four doubles state championships and two co-ed state championships to his name, Gross had just one more thing to check off the list: 300 career wins.

With a 9-0 dual win over Cedar Rapids Washington on April 14, Gross etched his name into some more history to improve his career record to 300-36. The Trojans swept both singles and doubles while battling bitter temperatures and wind.

Senior Eli Young fought back to win his singles match over Washington’s Grayson Zylstra ’21 in two sets 6-4,7-5. In his first year being able to compete, Jayden Shin ’23 joined the party in the win column with his singles win in two sets 6-1,6-0.

In doubles, partners Luca Chackalackal ’22 and Mukundan Kasturirangan ’21 picked up yet another win as they continue to work with their eyes set on a trip to the state tournament.

The boys tennis team will be back on the court this Thursday, April 15 at Cedar Rapids Prairie.