Volleyball team sweeps Waterloo East on senior night

The Trojan volleyball team faced off with Waterloo East on Sept. 21 while celebrating senior night. West completed the sweep of the Trojans in three sets, 25-4, 25-14 and 25-11. 

Owen Aanestad

Carmen Crabtree ’22, Katherine Kouba ’22 and Sydney Woods ’22 celebrate a Melae’ Lacy ’24 kill against Waterloo East on Sept. 21.

Owen Aanestad, Online Editor-In-Chief

Coming off of a big road win against Mississippi Valley Conference opponent Dubuque Hempstead in five sets, the Trojans faced off with Waterloo East in one of their last home games of the year on Sept. 21.

Before the game began the West volleyball team recognized seniors: Maria Kazembe, Alex Curtu, Emma Dunlap, Mayowa Dokun, McKenna Simcox, Raina Pfeifer, Aaliyah Trulson, Katherine Kouba, Carmen Crabtree and Sydney Woods for their contributions and efforts over the years.

Woods got right to work in the first set with an ace and a handful of big serves to put the Trojans up 9-0 early. Outside hitter Melae’ Lacy ’24 extended the lead with an absolute laser of a kill from the outside to help put the Trojans up 14-2 and force a Waterloo East timeout. Dokun joined the party with a block alongside Lacy to hold Waterloo East to just four points in the first set, West took set one with ease winning 25-4.

Waterloo East showed some life to start the second set with a quick run to cut the Trojans’ lead to seven. Lacy shut the door once again to go along with a double-digit night of kills. Stellar defense from Kouba on the backline settled the Trojans down early and lead them to a 25-14 second set win.

In search of a sweep, West jumped out to a 7-2 lead to start the third set after Dokun and Emma Stammeyer teamed up for a block. Stammeyer set the ball in all the right places to set up her hitters all night but added her own name to the scoresheet with an ace to help extend the Trojans’ lead to 21-9. As the final point neared Head Coach Keeley Arnold made some changes to set up Simcox for a big block in order to secure the third set for the Trojans. West completed the sweep of the Trojans in three sets, 25-4, 25-14 and 25-11.

Arnold’s squad will be back in action Saturday, Sept. 25 for a tournament at Liberty High School.