Trojan Bolts win 50th consecutive regular season dual meet

The girls swim team faced off with cross-town rival City High on Oct. 19 while celebrating senior night and their last dual meet of the year.

Owen Aanestad

Hope Eldridge ’22 takes a breath while swimming in the 400 yard freestyle relay on Oct. 19 during a dual meet against City High.

Owen Aanestad, Online Editor-In-Chief

It’s been a very long time since Byron Butler and the girls swim team lost a regular-season dual meet. So long that the Iowa City Community School Districts’ third high school wasn’t even open, this year’s graduating seniors were 11 or 12 years old and Drake’s “Hotline Bling” was atop the music charts.

In the Trojan Bolts’ final dual meet of the season on Oct. 19 the team not only celebrated seventeen seniors during senior night but their 50th consecutive regular-season dual meet win. The girls swim team kept their historic streak alive in dominating fashion after defeating cross-town rival City High by a team score of 142-44.

Fresh off of a Mississippi Valley Conference championship the girls swim team picked up right where they left off last Saturday with a win from their 200 yard medley relay team of Olivia Taeger ’22, Makala Hajek ’23,  Ella Hochstetler ’22 and Jade Roghair ’23 with a time of 1:53.30.

Future Florida Gator and state leader Scarlet Martin ’22 controlled the 200 yard freestyle once again in her last dual meet as a Trojan Bolt winning with a time of 1:53.44.

Senior Sam Kein added on to the Trojan Bolts team lead with some points after she won the 1M diving with a score of 236.70.

Taeger took home another first-place finish in the 500 yard freestyle with a time of 5:09.29 to go along Roghair’s win in the 100 yard backstroke with a time of 1:01.75.

Butler’s almost unstoppable squad capped off their memorable night with a sweep of the 100 yard breaststroke as Averie Bilskemper ’25 placed first with a time of 1:14.16 and Bella Friessen ’25 and Heidi Du ’23 placed second and third respectively.

The Trojan Bolts will be back in action at the regional meet in Clinton on Nov. 6 as they compete for a spot at the state swimming and diving meet.